Installed Pauls header (with pics)

Thing is - PCV tunes are not TuneECU tunes.

Running both takes a hell of a lot of thought - esp when you start mapping by gear and (in my case) using MAP not TPS.

I still have problems at very slight throttle openings in 1st. It actually is affected by what gloves I am wearing. After my UK trip I will attack the MAP plenum issue - it's made but I apply a change freeze a month before long or important trips.

Oh and - look here you ruddy Americans. Can you please stop selling whisky to the Indians. ;)

I'm still running my PCV AT and mapping by pressure it works really nicely.

There are a couple of things my enquiring mind is wondering about.
I know the AIT sensor measures the air temp at the intake...so if it's really cold the computor will feed more fuel in....also the o2 sensor measures how much unburnt oxygen is coming out of the motor so it can tell the computor to adjust things.
Does the AIT sensor get disabled when the PCV is installed so the tuner can set the fuel settings regardless of the air temp?..
I know we remove the o2 sensor and over ide that.

Hi Tal

I just picked up on this post been offline for a while.

No you cannot disable the AIT to my knowledge as this feeds into the main bike ECU. There are also other items that, unless you can get into the coding of the actual software in the bike, (much more than is available through Tune ECU and other systems) it cannot be adjusted.

There is also a "fuel pump" or "squirter" that whenever you twist the throttle dumps extra fuel in like on a carburetor. How do I know this? I found out the hard way with my PCV /AT POD300 by accepting too many trims. No matter what I did I always saw a way lean when I poured on the gas, then it came right the PCV detected this and tried to adjust to hit my target AFR eventually it leaned it so much the bike wouldn't run. Reloaded old PCV map and problem solved, something thats hard to do anything about (not that it probably needs anything done about it).

We remove the bike narrow band O2 sensor as it only works at idle and is no use for tuning at anything other than idle.

When fitting a PCV its pretty pointless (unless your getting tuned by a Dynojet agent) and even then all they can adjust is AFR without adding modules. For anyone getting a PCV always get the AT. It has a wide band O2 sensor that works over the entire rev range, with the AT it can also compensate for AIT change as the bike will detect hot/cold air and lean or enriches to suit, and the PCV/AT will trim it further.

This is why when using the PCV/AT you ride the bike for a while than log in and accept the changes, then drop the allowable % adjustment down and do this till you have allowable changes of no more than 5% trims (only what I dropped too) then dont touch again. Of course you could just turn it on and leave it too.

PCV MAP starts like this
upload_2019-5-14_15-15-12.png

Ends up looking like this
upload_2019-5-14_15-23-18.png

Just as reference...I had my 2014 roadster on the dyno. It had PCV, Triple k&n's, tors and cat delete crossover.I saved the tune in my laptop under "Rocket 3 tune 2014".
When I bought my 2016 roadster, I installed pcv, triple k&n's, crossover and tors so I downloaded the 2014 tune into that bike.
Sometime later I added a Jardine system and decided to put it on the dyno 'just in case'.
Turns out, the tune was way lean!!..so am glad I got it done.
This cemented my thinking that bike motors are individuals...very different altho the same.

A buddy of mine will hold up an outstretched hand and state, "Just like these five fingers. All are fingers yet all are different!" :thumbsup:

Old school here. After a spirited ride, I swipe my finger in the pipes. A little soot, good, no soot, or grey chit, too lean! Ha!:)

The narrow band sensor if enabled, has authority all over the map. It populates the adaptive tables, plus and minus fuel. Also, unlike some ecu’s doesn’t seem to have an open loop Afr parameter, such as setting the afr to 13.8:1. It’s still trying to tune .

I have verified by experimenting, and I haven’t found anything published by The Ecu manufacturer to explain their methodology. But it’s just what I’ve found.

Just as reference...I had my 2014 roadster on the dyno. It had PCV, Triple k&n's, tors and cat delete crossover.I saved the tune in my laptop under "Rocket 3 tune 2014".
When I bought my 2016 roadster, I installed pcv, triple k&n's, crossover and tors so I downloaded the 2014 tune into that bike.
Sometime later I added a Jardine system and decided to put it on the dyno 'just in case'.
Turns out, the tune was way lean!!..so am glad I got it done.
This cemented my thinking that bike motors are individuals...very different altho the same.

Turns out, the 2014 tune was way lean when measured AFTER fitting Jardine headers and full system which are vastly better flowing than stock headers and TORS with some (??) sort of cat free crosspipe especially at low to midrange. The Jardine equipped would flow much better but not up to the Viking, Reband or CES standard, and hence need more fuel,.

The 2014 tune probably ran fine in the 2016 very similar setup before the Jardines were added though.

I am pretty ignorant about all the tuning stuff luckily HansO is a mate and lives close by.;):cool::notworthy::notworthy: I just spent the weekend there and he checked my stepper motor settings and associated calibrations (??) which were all still spot on 0.61 (??) 3 years later since he activated the PCV and AT200 and downloaded one of his customised tunes. A year ago, after a bigger CES and bigger single pipe were added, it did burp and fart for a while and then settled down again when not getting the very slow speed/ low RPM roughness or burps.

@HansO was shocked to see my TB balancing was way out now though with a 595 - 670 range across the 3. Unfortunately his ancient w/shop laptop was having difficulty staying focussed so we gave up on that - will have to do it with @Turk here in Canberra.

Another point is he left the AT200 at 20% and on and it has never had a trim saved. He lives at the Coast and I am at 650 Meters and most long trips involve that and similar sized variations in heat and humidity as well so I have no complaints.

Last edited:
The narrow band sensor if enabled, has authority all over the map. It populates the adaptive tables, plus and minus fuel. Also, unlike some ecu’s doesn’t seem to have an open loop Afr parameter, such as setting the afr to 13.8:1. It’s still trying to tune .
If you use something like the APP "TORQUE" - You can log the Stock ECU lambda value. Even blanked out I have seen the value vary even with a resistor plug in. Unchecking the NB O2 box and the value seemed to sit firmly at 1.

Several days ago I got the chance to install a @Paul Bryant header. It's done in chrome. Yesterday I installed a tune reccommended by Clavinger, Headers and ramair 226. Did the 12 minute tune and reset adaptives, so she was ready to rock and roll. The other parts of my set up is RamAir and decatted stockers.

I let it cool after the 12 min tune and the header nuts, all needed a 1/4 turn or so. At this point in the day, it was pretty cool outside, so I waited till today to take her out.

Yes it did warm up to 60f, wooppee. The change in performance is quite noticeable, pulled really strong, much stronger than the stock header system.

I have a rather rich target AF in the autotune at this point, having said that, she really sucked down the gas. Much more so than than the stock header and stock mufflers. Not worried about it, just an observation. Want to go to tune by gear in the future, have contacted @barbagris to see how see set the gears up. Apparently there are 2 methods, one involves a dyno and the other way is to contact dynojet for the parameters for our bikes.

All in all, I'm quite pleased with the header and its performance.. can't wait for my new PB mufflers:D

The bad news is that I'm getting shoulder surgery on the 20th and will be out of commission for at least 6 weeks.:( Oh well it needs to be done, I could feel the strain in my ride today.

So on to the pics:thumbsup:

Hoopla

20190512_142407.jpg
20190512_142445.jpg
20190512_142336.jpg
Hey curious question, roughly how long did it take to be notified these works of art were being shipped your way ? Have same PowerPoint coming my way. Well in due time. Not worried as I have the time to spare.lol

Back