Installed Pauls header (with pics)

Paul do you make a heat shield for this header design ?
The headers stay very close to the engine and I didn't notice once any heat while riding. Chrome has a very low emissivity, in other words it doesn't leak heat like black, which leaks heat at a very high rate.. I can't feel heat even 1 inch from the header, tried this while the 12 minute tune was running.

I'm not a tuning expert, so just speaking from my experience, last fall when I added k and n filters and Viking header, I left the O2 sensor connected and used the same tune. Bike ran well but felt alot of heat on my leg. This spring I disconnected sensor, made sure it was shut off in tune, and reloaded the tune. My leg says it is running cooler. I really think the 02 sensor leans it out at idle, the bike might run rich at higher rpm range. Looks really good by the way, if you go the dynotune way I would wait till all your mods are done.
Sounds interesting. I would like to know, if the disconnection of the O2 sensor did have any influence on the fuel consumption. If the engine runs richer, the fuel consumption should increase...

@sonny . Dude trash talking a tuner you don’t know is pointless. I’ve used those tunes as a base to dyno tune with. Nothing wrong at all with them.

I don’t know everything about tuning, but I do know a fair amount, and I’ve experimented quite a bit with tuneecu and power commander.

You fellas loading a tune and expecting it to run right on another bike, just don’t understand the variances bike to bike. Couple that with people not understanding that the previously mentioned tune was dyno tuned without the o2 selected. ( meaning that the afr table wasn’t changed) They end up with a mess that’s barely running and blame the tune. It’s not the freaking tune!

For example, my bike which was just tuned, running a Carpenter tune, same equipment, was in the 17:1 afr range before tune. That way too lean! But it ran halfway ok. It just wasn’t right. At all!

My point is, unless the bike has been dyno tuned by a pro it isn’t right. A auto tune properly done will be very close.

All of my prior Triumphs and Nortons had blue discoloration on the down pipes. I had a set of chrome Hooker Headers on a Chevy L88 427ci engine that dumped out the wheel wells on an El Camino that also had a touch of bluing to the chrome. Maybe it is wrong but I like the discoloration to the down pipes.

bob

Just as reference...I had my 2014 roadster on the dyno. It had PCV, Triple k&n's, tors and cat delete crossover.I saved the tune in my laptop under "Rocket 3 tune 2014".
When I bought my 2016 roadster, I installed pcv, triple k&n's, crossover and tors so I downloaded the 2014 tune into that bike.
Sometime later I added a Jardine system and decided to put it on the dyno 'just in case'.
Turns out, the tune was way lean!!..so am glad I got it done.
This cemented my thinking that bike motors are individuals...very different altho the same.

Just as reference...I had my 2014 roadster on the dyno. It had PCV, Triple k&n's, tors and cat delete crossover.I saved the tune in my laptop under "Rocket 3 tune 2014".
When I bought my 2016 roadster, I installed pcv, triple k&n's, crossover and tors so I downloaded the 2014 tune into that bike.
Sometime later I added a Jardine system and decided to put it on the dyno 'just in case'.
Turns out, the tune was way lean!!..so am glad I got it done.
This cemented my thinking that bike motors are individuals...very different altho the same.

I plan on getting on a dyno sometime this week, to see where things are at.

Thanks

Hoopla

There are a couple of things my enquiring mind is wondering about.
I know the AIT sensor measures the air temp at the intake...so if it's really cold the computor will feed more fuel in....also the o2 sensor measures how much unburnt oxygen is coming out of the motor so it can tell the computor to adjust things.
Does the AIT sensor get disabled when the PCV is installed so the tuner can set the fuel settings regardless of the air temp?..
I know we remove the o2 sensor and over ide that.

Back