Installed new NGK spark plugs

vonbonds

Supercharged
I installed the factory recommended spark plugs the other day and something funny has happened. My backfiring on decel has gone away (at least for 1 day and counting). My old plugs looked fine and I even had a mechanic friend look at them and he agreed.

Just a curious finding I figured I would share.

Pulling Plugs

Good, candid post Vonbonds. It confirms that the Rocket will never reveal all its mysteries at once:)

BTW, how many miles did you have on the earlier set of plugs might be an obvious question to raise? In other words, could one infer (how pompous!) from your post that early plug change is advisable?

In my case, decel popping totally disappeared once I fitted the Mad Dogs. No other change. Same tune, plugs, air filter et all as with the TOR's with the cat on. A claim that even Aussiebiker Davo has never made;) .

Regards. Jamie

I replaced the stock plugs. They had 26K miles on them :). I think it is recommend they get replaced at 30 or 40K, I forgot right now. I am just giving the bike a little tune up before my trip to West Virginia next week. The only thing I need to do at this point is check the valves at 30K. I am going to wait until winter to do that as I will replace my fork oil at that point too.

PS. My backfiring is back :). New plugs are good for 200 miles with no popping on decel :D

My brain works very slowly... almost not at all sometimes:eek:.....

I wonder if using a colder plug would help with the popping situation

NGK DPR8EA9.... I think the "8" is the heat range number and the higher you go the colder the plug... so if I'm right this is already a pretty cold plug...

Back