Installed GI Pro on new stock R3

flhtpi

.060 Over
I received my GI Pro from the group buy today. I think I waited a whole ten minutes from delivery to installation. Installation was painless and the directions were very clear. I had no problems with the pin removal. I turned the ignition on and the display showed the correct gear selection. I set the TRE mode to 3 and went for a test ride. Test ride resulted with display going blank. I removed power from the unit hoping things would reset. I turned the ignition on and the display is working again. I reset the TRE mode to 3 and went for a test ride. The second test ride resulted with display not correctly displaying second gear, usually displaying first gear while in second gear. All other gears displayed correctly. I went through the auto-learning procedure and display is functioning correctly in all gears. I made sure the TRE mode still displayed 3. I went for a test ride and the unit and display functioned correctly. My bike is 25 days old (new left over 2007 R3 Std) and is completely stock. I must say what a bang for the buck mod. It accelerates in the lower gears like a different bike!! I’m very pleased!!

Thats great. Glad everything went OK for you. I just love the silly things, makes the bike so much more fun to rip around on don't it. Wait till you ride at night, the auto dimmer works great.
So where did you decide to put the display? I put mine between the gauges after removing the chrome cover over the bolts. That way no one can see it but me.

Display

I placed the display the same place you put yours between the gauges with cover removed. I only wish that surface was more flat without those bolt heads sticking up. I might have to mod that some how so the display sits more secure.

Multiple layers of double sided foam tape under the velcro patch works great. Not too much, just enough to fill the space. It took a bunch of trial and error to arrive at the idea, but it looks like it belongs there once you get it to sit flat.

Here's a little write up I did to make the install as painless as possible.
HOW TO INSTALL THE GIPRO W/ ATRE ON A STANDARD R3

To the best of my recolection.
Here's the plastic plate you need to remove.

After you remove it, you'll see a metal bar that attaches with the same 2 torx screws.
The one in my fingers.

On this metal bar, you'll see 2 plugs on the upper part of it, and one bigger plug down low.

You want the upper plug closest to the back wheel, and easiest to get to.
Slip it off the metal bar and bring it out, it won't come very far, but far enough you can seperate the plug halves.
on the male plug half, you want the black wire with the stripe,
purple, pink, white, whatever it was, it was the one with the stripe.
On the female half of the plug you'll need to hold the two halfs like you were gonna snap them back together,
and pull the black wire that mates up to the one you removed.
You'll pull both wires out of the plug from the back of each half.
Your directions say "lift the plastic retainer and gently pull out" ,
That worked fine on the "male" end.
On the "female" end the clip was deeper and I had ALOT of trouble raising it.
Raising the clip would be better, but I got tired of messing with it,
and pushed it out from the front, pulling it gently from the back at the same time.
Its also held in by a rubber gasket at the back of the plug.
Use something small, I ground down a set of tweezers, bent one leg out of the way,
and used the other leg of the tweezers to push the rubber gasket and pin out.
Follow the directions to put the wires back in the new gipro plug.
That parts easy, along with the rest of the install.
Just follow the directions,, the only other thing I can think of offhand is,
strip the black plastic coating back off the two wires you're gonna use for power,
and solder some ends on them that'll fit on your battery terminals.
Heres what mine looks like all put together.

The "red rubber that you see the wires going into on the two white plugs,
is what you push out with the tweezers from the original plug.

I hope this helps somebody.
It ain't hard, just tedious.

Last edited:
Skippy I don't know how you got those things out of the plugs without breaking the wires off the pins ... must be magic or luck (or both) LOL. 'Cause they ARE held in the casing by little plastic tangs that really should be lifted while the pin is pushed out the back. The red weather-proofing probably could hold them in place if the tang was broken off, but it wasn't supposed to. (I guess it does now :p) Hey, if it works, it works huh? Hard to argue with success.
If you look inside the plug closely (us old guys will need some good glasses), you can see the end of the tang. They make a tool just for things like this, but a really tiny eyglass screwdriver or large sewing needle pushed between the plastic tang and the plug pin (from inside the plug, not the wire side) will release the pressure and allow you to push the pin out the back (wire side) of the plug (doing it like this will keep the tang from breaking off and make a click sound when pushing one back in. But I guess it's really only relevent if there is a need to put pins back in them in the future). I'm not too concerned about breaking the tangs, just the wire off the pin.
To clarify the color of the stripe wire, one the bike side (Male) it's the Pink/Black (Violet/Black according to the instructions, Triumph calls it Pink) and the solid black across from it on the sensor side (female). The other striped wire is Black/White ... leave it alone.
For the R3T with three wires ... the solid black wire in the instructions, is replaced by the solid Pink (Violet) on the sensor side (female), and use the Pink/black (Violet/Black) directly across from it on the bike side (Male) as the other one to be relocated.
Older year bikes could very well have different color wires, so the instructions have a couple of quick little tests to do in order to make sure you have chosen the correct wires. It's pretty fool proof. :rolleyes: hehe

Skip I love the bracket ... excellent visibility! No way to miss a shift now eh? :D

Where on earth do you have the bike parked? With the dirt on it and the company it keeps, she looks parked in the "project" lot. Surely you haven't put her out to pasture have you?

Last edited:
Back