How would one make a diesel rocket?

I've done a lot of work modifying diesel engines and doing diesel swaps. Turning the triumph into a diesel would require a TON of work. Totally new head design. Not enough meat for a injector to screw in. Would need a timing cover or a cog bet driven injector pump. Mechanical or electronic injection still needs hard fuel lines and a pump.
The clutch and drive line would fail soo quickly...

Honestly a 900cc turbo diesel would be more than enough. 100-150hp and 200-350ft lbs
Weight will be a killer. Hands down. Maybe a 2 cyl with a external trans. A 4 cyl vw might be possible... I dunno if the frame could hold it all though. I've witnessed a lot of custom diesel bike builds and the frames are always huge!

I'd be willing to attempt to modify a r3 block. Send me one and a blank check and I'll make something happen! Sleeve it down big time, Custom crank, rods, and pistons...
Different cams. Custom clutch basket, plates and steels...
It would be a hell of a 1 off for sure.

There are cruisers in Europe that I are 100+ mpg diesels in I have read about. Might be a whole lot cheaper to import one of those.... Even for just a engine swap!!!

Just looked at some charts and did a piston comparison... It was hilarious. add .090 or .120 sleeve, plus domed pistons with the stock stroke reduce cylinder capacity to 1.67L
:roll:

Spark plug holes cannot contain an injector, and cam bosses are in the way to center a new injector hole... Lots of weld filling and maybe reducing the valve size might make it possible... That would be the biggest hangup. Ideally you want a flat head anyway with the combustion chamber in the piston. So unless there is a similar head out there... $$$

I loved reading this thread though. If anyone care to attempt this feat of engineering, I want in!

In France around 1980-1990 Boccardo had made a bike with a 205 Peugeot diesel engine . I think he made around 10 bikes but had
not money enought .
But now with all the stupid emission laws , diesel will be more and more difficult to pass the norms .

I've done a lot of work modifying diesel engines and doing diesel swaps. Turning the triumph into a diesel would require a TON of work. Totally new head design. Not enough meat for a injector to screw in. Would need a timing cover or a cog bet driven injector pump. Mechanical or electronic injection still needs hard fuel lines and a pump.

Honestly a 900cc turbo diesel would be more than enough. 100-150hp and 200-350ft lbs
Weight will be a killer. Hands down. Maybe a 2 cyl with a external trans. A 4 cyl vw might be possible... I dunno if the frame could hold it all though. I've witnessed a lot of custom diesel bike builds and the frames are always huge!

I'd be willing to attempt to modify a r3 block. Send me one and a blank check and I'll make something happen! Sleeve it down big time, Custom crank, rods, and pistons...

There are cruisers in Europe that I are 100+ mpg diesels in I have read about. Might be a whole lot cheaper to import one of those.... Even for just a engine swap!!!

Just looked at some charts and did a piston comparison... It was hilarious. add .090 or .120 sleeve, plus domed pistons with the stock stroke reduce cylinder capacity to 1.67L

Spark plug holes cannot contain an injector, and cam bosses are in the way to center a new injector hole... Lots of weld filling and maybe reducing the valve size might make it possible... That would be the biggest hangup. Ideally you want a flat head anyway with the combustion chamber in the piston. So unless there is a similar head out there... $$$

I loved reading this thread though. If anyone care to attempt this feat of engineering, I want in!
SO why would you ruin a great bike like the ROCKET by turning it into a Stinky slow Diesel ?

I wish I was in a financial situation to make this happen.
I'm thinking VW or Pugeot might be good donors. The 900cc bike is also intriguing. Who makes one of those? The air cooled v twin I read about in The Horse Backstreet Choppers magazine was 800cc, non turbo, and got 100mpg. It was also built for getting around New York City. The bike I want to build will be built for comfort, power, and fuel economy. I liked the video @barbagris posted of the Pugeot bike. That motor sounded like it ran strong and hauled ass.

SO why would you ruin a great bike like the ROCKET by turning it into a Stinky slow Diesel ?
Turbo diesel my friend. It was just an idea I had. The idea of a diesel bike has intrigued me for quite a while. The fact you get so much mileage out of yours says alot for the rocket that it can get good fuel economy if you aren't out riding around like an ash hole. :D Local law enforcement stopped me the other day to admire my bike... and help pay for the local roads or whatever fines pay for. I need to slow the F down.

Back