How would one make a diesel rocket?

Diesels usually run less than 2500 rpms so your top speed would be limited unless you fooled with the gearing.
Erm - NO. Most modern automotive diesels run well into 5000rpms and above. My missus little Citroen redlines at just over 6000. And if it can haul a tonne at 100mph it can haul half that. Consumption will come down also to aerodynamics - which on bikes simply are generally poor. I think we can accept we'd add a turbo. Personally I think the weak link for converting an R3 would be the gearbox. But Scott knows the breaking point of R3 guts. I'd keep to electronic injection if converting an R3.

I am only familiar with CAT diesels in semi trucks and they redline at 2100 rpms. The small diesels that I'm familiar with that would fit in a bike are also 2100 rpm motors like a KUBOTA. In any event even if the engine went 6000 rpms what would be the advantage of a diesel over the engine now in the bike? A Turbo Diesel would have more pipes and stuff in the way of your legs, it just seems to me unless you want to pull a trailer full of firewood a diesel has no advantage over the present motor. Also most modern diesels require adding urea to them to meet emissions, more stuff to deal with. Its best to keep diesels in trucks not bikes in my opinion. If just tinkering and spending money and being different is what is driving the project than why not try to stuff a steam engine into it.

Thank you everyone for your input. So it seems if I was to have a diesel bike I need to start with an actual diesel motor. Which rules out our beloved 2300 r3 motor. I'm good with that. I have always loved the idea of a turbo diesel bike. I have thought u would sate my appetite with Turbocharging my r3 but the bike is already stupid fast (which I love). So maybe taking a smaller diesel motor from a passenger car and building a bike around it may be the ticket. I know this sounds long term and maybe even stupid but long term projects are fun for me. I have built a rock crawler 4x4 from the ground up which took me around 11 years to complete. So please continue your input. I plan on checking out the Citroën motor next.

Well now....if you want to adapt a car diesel, I reckon where there's a will there's a way. But look carefully at the Rocket engine and see it's really a great big motorcycle engine turned longways, where they would normally be sideways. What I am getting at, is where will the transmission go? IF it's not made into the block, you have packaging problem. A planetary gearset is much more compact, though you might have to cobble your own. And I suppose, using the engine as a stressed member simplifies frame design...yeah you'll have to do a one off frame, and no reason it couldn't be set up like a big cruiser ala Rocket III. If you would rather do a trike...Boss Hoss has been packaging car engines into them for years....come to think of it they do a V8 two wheeler too. You might get some ideas from that beast!

The Carpenter 265 package has 13.5:1 compression, so going to 14 or 14.5 should be possible without serious issue.

I plan on checking out the Citroën motor next.
The PSA diesels (Citroen/Peugeot) are good and solid. Avoid Renault - some are very good some are notoriously bad. Look at VAG - Volkswagen/audi/seat/skoda). BMW too - though they're pricey. many of the 2L are putting out close to 200bhp and 200ftlbs torque.

For a first project I'd suggest something older chassis wise. BMW's and Guzzis make good starters as they have a separate gearbox & inline engine.

In most of the EU a DIESEL BIKE for high mileage riders would make sense. Lower consumption (say half) and generally cheaper fuel as well - about 15% cheaper here. Most long distance DRIVERS have diesel cars.
And on the Autobahn they do not have speed restrictions in much of the country. I drove much of the time at 100mph there. Yes in diesels.

Here there is not a cats chance in hell of getting it homologated. But in the UK there is/was a guy converting Speed Triples and Tigers with the SMART car diesel.

The only diesel bike that really made production failed - because it was a VERY narrow audience. And it's a shame as it was well thought out. It was an Adventure (BMW-GS) style bike - which I do not like. If it had been more Cruiser or better still Sports Tourer style - I'd have been very tempted. I want my feet flat on the ground when I stop.

Last edited:
I have been involved with the building of the V8 Choppers, it looks easy, it is far from it. Anything can be done if you don't give up but its costly and takes time and many times those two things lead to giving up. In the end a Triumph Rocket is built for a different type of customer than a diesel powered bike would appeal to.

Thanks again for the input. I appreciate all of your time. A diesel bike is something that has interested me for some time. I've no plans to disect the r3. Thoughts of an R3 rocket are dwindling and thoughts of starting with another power plant all together is starting to make more sense. Will it all come to fruition? Who knows but it is interesting. A motor that could provide anywhere from 50-100 mpg running more than 100hp is something that interests me a lot. Making it work may be difficult. Making it look good is another task all together. Expensive? Probably. Entertaining definitely.

Back