Highest gears 4th and 5th fall out of gear

Kievit

Rocket on wheels
Ride
Triumph Rocket touring stripped/customized '11
A friend of mine drives a touring '08. Spontaneously gear drops out, especially 5th gear but sometimes also from 4th. we checked the pedal position to be sure it reaches enough "length and depht"" and optimized the clutch. In the event of a failure, the pedal, while driving can be pushed/held in place so that it remains in gear. After holding it for a while, 5th or 4th gear is retained, however it's not stable. The bike is shifting smoothly but it would be nice if gears stay in place.

Does anyone recognize the problem..and still better...know a solution?

I already replaced, what i think is meant by detent spring on another rocket, another friend with completely blokked gears. The small/short spring that make shifting gear possible.
The story is something different while shifting gears is easily done….very smooth...but still...dropping out once in a while. Do you still think its detent spring?? If so the repair is easily done...i have my doubts.

I already replaced, what i think is meant by detent spring on another rocket, another friend with completely blokked gears. The small/short spring that make shifting gear possible.
The story is something different while shifting gears is easily done….very smooth...but still...dropping out once in a while. Do you still think its detent spring?? If so the repair is easily done...i have my doubts.
I did have a similar problem 2 years ago, at a mileage of 200.000 km. When accelerating in the 4th gear, the gear slipped out and slipped in again at smaller throttle. The problem was inside the gearbox, the cams fixing the gear shaft (?) were rounded. The gearbox had to be changed. Not a really cheap work...
Regards, Georg

It can do either. The first time mine happened I had to ride home in 1st gear, fortunately only a couple of miles. The second time it would not stay in 3rd or 4th gear unless I kept pressure on the shifter lever. That was a longer ride home, from the west coast.

Oké .....we start replacing the de tent spring ...hope it s the detent

Oké .....we start replacing the de tent spring ...hope it s the detent
You can drain the coolant and jack the front up in the air in jack stands right under the front of the peg rails pull the wayerpump and scope it. Like the picture below.
DetentSpringInspection.jpg

You can se its still stretched which also mean its not broken. This was done with a cheap scope. But he it worked. The other way will only take 3 or 4 hours. Some simple short cutts like a bathroom towel over the fender to protect it instead of removing it. Or the fact that you can pull the fender without removing the wheel. Its all about not scratching the fender when you pulling the radiator. Do not pull lower radiator hose just loosen the the bolts on the pump cover and drain. Once drained remove the three screws on the cover and leave it and thr hose on the radaitor do it lines right up for ya when your putting her back together. Think should I do anything to the clutch whilst your at it.

Back