Hard to get into any gear!

My 2017 Roadster suddenly did not want to go into 3rd gear. I tried a few times while it was rolling and after several attempts, got it into gear. It kept going into false neutrals. The gear indicator would show it was in a gear, but it was not.
I could get it into all of the gears, but each one would take a lot of shifter movement to finally get a gear engaged.
I was able to limp it home under its own power, but now I’m wondering what happened?
Any ideas on a fix and cost?
You didn’t mention how the shift lever feels. Is it floppy/loose? If it is, it’s the detent spring. Cheap part but a good bit of work to get it done. It can be accessed through the front cover but the clutch and nearby items need to be removed. Give us more details.

You didn’t mention how the shift lever feels. Is it floppy/loose? If it is, it’s the detent spring. Cheap part but a good bit of work to get it done. It can be accessed through the front cover but the clutch and nearby items need to be removed. Give us more details.

Yes, it does seem a lot sloppier than before.

Warp 9.9 is a Guru for technical advise. He helped me save my 06. If you don’t have one yet, get the shop service manual and read up on the transmission/detent section. It can be done if you have mechanical skills. The manual describes the steps for disassembly and reassembly. If you are not comfortable with it, at least you will know what to discuss with your shop mechanic.
There are also threads here on detent springs with very good pictures showing location and repair steps that you should check out.

Here is one of the threads.

Back