Rocket_Rider

Supercharged
Ride
Rocket 3 Touring 2018
Hi all,

I think I need some knowledge from the more experienced rocket captains out there.

Basic story, I’ve got a touring model (2018) with 4000s on the clock. For those who haven’t read some of my other posts I have a highside in April as a result of oil on a roadway. Bike has been repaired but I’m getting a relatively minor but still disconcerting high speed oscillation.

The headset bearings have been checked and tightened. That helped a little. I have virtually new Avon cobra chrome tyres as I picked up some nails on the way home from the dealer from getting the repairs done (yeh I’m thinking of doing an exorcism on the bike)

My rear suspension is set at position 3. I weigh about 130kgs in gear. Tyres are blown to 38 front and 42 rear.

The oscillation occurs with or without the windshield. It also occurs at 36 psi front and 41 psi rear.

The dealer is assuring me the forks and frame are okay. It happens even if I take the panniers off.

It only occurs at speeds above about 110kph and is more obvious at about 130kph

Any advice of what the check next? I’m at a bit of a loss!!!

A while back I installed a Avon Cobra on the front of my bike. Could not get over 100mph because it wobbled so bad. After checking everything... balance, headset bearings.. etc... I removed the tire and installed a Metz.
Problem solved... it was the Avon. I will not use Avon anymore.
I get my tires changed at a dealership and they told me Avons cause a lot of trouble. It's a hit or miss thing. You might get a good Avon or you might not. I got a bad one.

Do yourself a favor. Don't take the dealers word for it that the forks etc are fine. Find yourself a bike crash repairer with a laser wheel alignment setup and get it checked. It will be the best $40 you will ever spend. I learnt a long time ago that you don't take anyone's word for it, get it checked by a pro with the correct gear or at the very least ask your dealer how they checked the alignment, what gear did they use to check it with.

Do yourself a favor. Don't take the dealers word for it that the forks etc are fine. Find yourself a bike crash repairer with a laser wheel alignment setup and get it checked. It will be the best $40 you will ever spend. I learnt a long time ago that you don't take anyone's word for it, get it checked by a pro with the correct gear or at the very least ask your dealer how they checked the alignment, what gear did they use to check it with.

I agree get a second opinion on the forks and frame.

Quite a few years ago a brand new 3 weeks old Russian Lada Niva 4wd (NZ government did a butter for cars deal) split a car in half that pulled out of a country Pub in front of it was an early 70s V8 so a solid car.

Instead of writing it off insurance company got it repaired even though it was 3 inches higher in the roof where it had buckled in the crash.

Once the owner got the 4wd back about 4 months later it didn't drive right he took it the top repair and chassis shop in town and they put it there equipment and it was 3 inches out of Alignment front to back.

Insurance had spent $17500 repairing it and was going to cost upwards of another 10k to get it done right not bad for something worth $20000.00 insurance wanted another go at fixing it.

But never got a chance as could not get a warrant of fitness to be road worthy and ended up having to be written off.

So don't believe what you have been told.

A while back I installed a Avon Cobra on the front of my bike. Could not get over 100mph because it wobbled so bad. After checking everything... balance, headset bearings.. etc... I removed the tire and installed a Metz.
Problem solved... it was the Avon. I will not use Avon anymore.
I get my tires changed at a dealership and they told me Avons cause a lot of trouble. It's a hit or miss thing. You might get a good Avon or you might not. I got a bad one.

In my case the problem
Was there before the cobras... if anything I think they have helped!

Yes the dealer talked about laser aligning but never did it and it’s certainly on my list. Anything else? I’m trying to have everything I can think of at this point as I’ve been without the bike for most of the last 3 months

Mine were bad from the get go. The nuts were not set right and the bike pounded the bearing to death within 3000 miles. The dealer will just keep tightening it over and over and over and it'll never be right

The first time I pulled the top triple on my own, the nuts were literally loose, like not even finger tight loose.

I'd suggest getting the laser alignment checked, and it's all good, take to the dealer who repaired it and ask them to test ride and verify the wobble.

Mine were bad from the get go. The nuts were not set right and the bike pounded the bearing to death within 3000 miles. The dealer will just keep tightening it over and over and over and it'll never be right

The first time I pulled the top triple on my own, the nuts were literally loose, like not even finger tight loose.

I'd suggest getting the laser alignment checked, and it's all good, take to the dealer who repaired it and ask them to test ride and verify the wobble.

Ok,

I did ask the dealer to verify and ride the bike... he says he can’t feel it... to me it’s just obvious and I have to lean forward or slow down to settle it...

Back