Helmet mounted Video Cameras

Yea' some good points there Phil regarding camera's mounted to the Bike, not the rider.
One thing I'm trying to work out for myself is, which mounting position (Bike or Body) gives the most realistic view of what I am seeing when riding?

Anthony's vids above aren't too bad as far as clarity goes, possibly the slight blurring is due to the fact that the camera is in a case.
But the Vibrations etc are not at all bad.

You see, I want to be able to send you a Vid of me blasting hard through the windy (as in winding road) stuff so as to scare the *&^% outa you :D

Paul if you look at my mountain bike video, that vantage point was taken from a chest harness for the Go Pro, it has narrow bands & is very light weight. hardly noticed it there

Methinks that the top of the flyscreen is almost at the optimal height to give a real world, rider's eyeball point of view as it sits just below a rider's line of sight at speed. When you look at phar2slo's mount he has compensated for that slight discrepancy, although I'd be a little concerned about that camera location obscuring my line of sight just ahead for about 10-30 feet. But, realistically who the heck is looking down there at any significant speed?

Last edited:
That looks like the same giant fly that I have. I am surprised that you don't get severe vibration mounted at the top like that. Just saying...

Nah Steve, it looks stock to me. The Dave Gill XL fly version ( 'Rocke's Patches' online store and eBay seller's ID 'Toyota6510' ) we have, has extended side wings at the top - notice this one curves in at top as the wings narrow.

Link Removed

Just do me one favor and kindly do not overdo it trying to display the skills I already know you possess, brother Paul!;)

Hey I'm still alive :D and at the age that I am now I look back and sometimes think that that is no small miracle ! :D
One thing that I have learnt in life is that crap can happen when one is showing off.
So when I get to send you (and a few others) a vid, it will be from when I'm just out going for a ride, not specifically trying to show you how fast ......

Hey I'm still alive :D and at the age that I am now I look back and sometimes think that that is no small miracle ! :D
One thing that I have learnt in life is that crap can happen when one is showing off.
So when I get to send you (and a few others) a vid, it will be from when I'm just out going for a ride, not specifically trying to show you how fast ......

That’s called “making a business decision” - when I see some stuff that looks gnarly n I want to “try” it. Sometimes I make a business decision to bypass it so I can still go to work in the morning :cool:

I'm not too surprised, Steve. I know that my flyscreen is quite rigidly affixed with the factory "fixing kit, Steve and Chris's mount looks to be braced at both the top and bottom of his mount both from the inside surface (2 screws) and lead,exterior surface (single top screw).

My guess is that much more ambient motion is transmitted to a camera that is essentially attached to the rider's head or helmet, but not being a cycle-mounted videographer myself, that is purely a guess on my part. It just seems to make sense as all of the closed circuit course racing shots I have seen on TV are rigidly mounted to the machines, not to the riders' or their helmets.

HUH?????????????????? :roll: :p

Being a Go-Pro novice and wishing to have an alternate to my helmet mount,
I just bought this mount. Have yet to try it out though . . .
Anyone have experience with it?

Last edited:
Paul if you look at my mountain bike video, that vantage point was taken from a chest harness for the Go Pro, it has narrow bands & is very light weight. hardly noticed it there

Yes I've been told about those.
The trouble is mid chest height is right behind the Fly screen :(
Otherwise that would be good.

Nah Steve, it looks stock to me. The Dave Gill XL fly version ( 'Rocke's Patches' online store and eBay seller's ID 'Toyota6510' ) we have, has extended side wings at the top - notice this one curves in at top as the wings narrow.

That there explains why it works.
I reckon ours would not tolerate that mounting without extra bracketing.

Back