And they've got off their butt and invented new bikes that kids will rave over....even I would ride them!

I would really like HD to start making different bikes. They do create a cult following but as the article states, that cult is dying off. It would be neat to see what HD engineers came up with if they were able to go nuts. Harley Davidson has a rich American History and it would be neat to see them evolve.

I agree with the fact that HD needs to rethink the new generation of riders. Most younger riders can't afford the prices of a Harley even if they were interested. The sheer number of of used HD bikes on the market now with more of the same being newly manufactured just seems to overburden the demand. I would like to see a fresh new HD creation that stimulates the desire of our "eager to ride" younger generation as well. This being said, Triumph rocks! 151153839143a76993199bf.gif

Triumph and Bajaj to Partner on Mid-Sized Motorcycles

I don't know what it is like elsewhere - but for the last couple of years here and GROWING the market id for retro looking 60/70's CafeRacer or simple bikes with reasonable performance - that work in traffic and the open road.

Even Benelli announced a retro at EICMA. I still have the NEED for something more SuperDuke in me. But maybe because I have a real old Guzzi for "retro" days.

Last edited:
I would really like HD to start making different bikes. They do create a cult following but as the article states, that cult is dying off. It would be neat to see what HD engineers came up with if they were able to go nuts. Harley Davidson has a rich American History and it would be neat to see them evolve.[/QUOTE

I keep hearing that Harley needs to change. Build a bike for"riders" instead of posers and hardcore (hardheaded) fans. I think they're headed in the right direction with the new Softtail line. I test rode a Breakout and a Fatbob. They feel much lighter, run and idle smoothly, stop great and corner great. They need to lower the price though. The Breakout is $20k, no thanks. I'd rather buy any number of used make/models for less than half the cost. The Sport Glide seems made to order for me, almost. Don't know the price, sure it's over 20k though. I could live with the price if they offered it with the accessories I want and controls that fit me. Why would I pay $20-30k on a motorcycle. Then spend another $5k for a taller (useful) windshield, better seat, pegs, stage123 upgrade, etc. I just think they would sell way more of those new bikes if they offered them with a choice options that didn't escalate the already overinflated price. Seems to me I'd be better off buying a used VTX 1800 around $5,000. Spend $5,000 or less to upgrade, refit, customize and have$10,000 left over for gas, lodging and incidentals.

I would really like HD to start making different bikes. They do create a cult following but as the article states, that cult is dying off. It would be neat to see what HD engineers came up with if they were able to go nuts. Harley Davidson has a rich American History and it would be neat to see them evolve.
Exactly right. Harley's in 2017 look and feel much like they did 20 years ago (yes I know the engine is different) and the guys who bought those are now 70 years old and not buying new bikes nearly as much. Harley needs to put the past where it belongs and embrace the future. Nostalgia will only take you so far and i believe Harley reached that place a couple of years back.

Back