Hanso/Tripp R3T derestricing/anti-Decel pop tune review.

The weatherman said lots of rain today; so I opened my B-day present early. If you can't ride might as well wrench.

The Ramair installation was a breeze. Jacking with the OEM ductwork was by far the hardest part.

Decided to change the plugs while the tank was up. pics attached.
I've been reading a bit lately about tunes, and lean and rich conditions. Inspecting the plugs was a suggestion and thought a new set for me to inspect in a few weeks would be a good idea and a pic for review here could be a timely bit of info.
I have been running the original Trip R3T derestricted tune for about two years. I'm guessing these plugs are the originals because I got the bike with 3k a little over two years ago. She now has 23K.
I don't think the plugs look bad. They have a clean side and a darkened side; I'm guessing because it's a two plug chamber.
Anyway, the darkened side shows the tune I was running was a little rich. At least, that's how I'd read it. Both pics are the same plug and all six looked similar.

On to the tune & Ramair
There isn't as much induction noise as I imagined. But the tone of pipes/engine is more aggressive when giving her the whip.
Everything ran nice, power seemed a little smoother and throttle response was quicker. Don't want to oversell it because butt dynos aren't known to be well calibrated.

I had torque open on my phone to watch temps & RPMs on my test run. Well, I have a 0-60 timer on the screen too and decided WTF. Pulled to a stop on the access road, gave her a few RPMs and progressively dumped the clutch. HOLY HELL she's sideways! Let up a little on the throttle enough to let her spin back straight and hammer her up to the limiter.
0-60 shows 4.2 seconds. I've had better, but not with that much spin.
Hit it couple more times with a little more care and head on home.
At the last stop before I get to my neighborhood, the road is open a clear for at least a half mile.
This time the rear tire is nice and warm and get to 60 in 3.5 seconds. That is my best time on the Rocket ever.
Disclosure, I'm running a Dunlop dual compound tire that's hard in the center.

I'll keep an eye on mileage and revisit the new plugs for lean/rich coloring. Today I'm happy though. :)

Big thanks to Hanso and to Paul too.

Good day all, @Joesmoe loaded a new tune in Brahma this weekend for me. @HansO sent him two new tunes after Joesmoe's bike was sending out too many fuel fumes via the exhaust. This was noticed while at Mayberry days.

From what Joesmoe tells me, these tunes started with the R3T de-restricting tune Wayne Tripp created and leans the fuel some below 3,000 RPM. (please correct me if I am wrong). I am running the tune to decrease deceleration popping, (not that I mind it but Pretty Pillion does). So far, I like this tune a lot. Here are my seat-of-the-pants observation:

Not having touched my ECU yet, can I assume that the de-restricting tune on the TuneECU site will cause deceleration popping? If this is the case I am glad I learned about it first. Like you, the Pretty Pillion that likes getting on my bike would be none to happy.

This new tune that has been put together sounds like it corrects some minor issues and provides more power but it is only if you have upgraded your intake and exhaust. Would it be possible to tweak it for a stock R3T? It's going to take me quite awhile to upgrade to the RamAir intake and new exhaust.

Also, I've seen on another thread that there may be issues with 2014+ ECUs. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks

Not having touched my ECU yet, can I assume that the de-restricting tune on the TuneECU site will cause deceleration popping? If this is the case I am glad I learned about it first. Like you, the Pretty Pillion that likes getting on my bike would be none to happy.

This new tune that has been put together sounds like it corrects some minor issues and provides more power but it is only if you have upgraded your intake and exhaust. Would it be possible to tweak it for a stock R3T? It's going to take me quite awhile to upgrade to the RamAir intake and new exhaust.

Also, I've seen on another thread that there may be issues with 2014+ ECUs. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks
Andrew, mine is a 2014 and have had no issues with the ECU. Granted, I only have 45K miles on it just barely broke in. :) I had popping from the Triumph TORs tune I got from the dealership when they put the TORs exhaust system on. That tune by itself has a noticeable gain if only by the seat of my pants. (Actual dyno gains is slight). The current tune I have now further increases power and slightly decreases mileage. I have stock intake still. I am sure it will be better whenever I upgrade that. SO, yes, you can use it with a stock bike, just won't realize all the benefits.

Thank you @Boog. I wonder if using TuneECU and the tune listed on site, or any tune, is worth it before upgrading.

Thank you @Boog. I wonder if using TuneECU and the tune listed on site, or any tune, is worth it before upgrading.
I say it can be depending on what you are after. Simply derestricting the bike is good for some added fun.

I put this tune on my stock 2015 R3T this weekend and have had zero issues.and no decel popping so far. Thanks to @HansO for tune and for @Boog and @Joesmoe for this post.

Would somebody mine sharing this tune with me? I have 2008 R3T with Ramair intakes and Daine single slipon.

thx

The challenge here is I'm still unclear when the ECUs changed such that ECU maps only work with what years.

It would be nice to have that matrix on here somewhere, so that folks working with the ECU maps could know that the one(s) they have are good for certain years, and respond accordingly when a request such as yours comes along.

I have maps I've provided to several folks -- all with 2014 bikes on up. I don't know that what I have would work for 2008 Touring -- or how far back mine work -- would be good to know.

Back