Fuel pump died... then the next one too.

Seanii Plunkett

.060 Over
Ride
2010 Triumph Roocket 3 Roadster with sidecar.
Hello all,
My fuel pump started making very loud under tank noises and died at the beginning of a ride just after I filled the tank. I had a spare one in the shed as I didn't like the noise the day before and had ordered one, so I replaced that and away she went. Next day I took it for a ride to town and it started making the same noise and today the pump died again, leaving me on the side of the road with the 2 dogs and a bad attitude.
Anyone had this happen?
Could it be the fuel pressure regulator is malfunctioning and causing the pump to work overtime?
Ordered another pump but there's no point installing it until I can work out possible issues.
It has a Ramair set up, Viking slip on muffler and a Hanso unrestricted tune.
Any ideas?

Cheers,
Sean.

What kind of noise was it, like squealing or ..?
Are these OEM fuel pumps or spurious (sounds like you got one within a day)?
Assume you're using the little net/mesh filter on the fuel pump inlet?
Have you put 12v on the old removed pump(s) to see if they run ok solo (meaning it's something else causing problem) or it makes noise or it's seized?
Have you checked that all your fuses are as per manual spec
So many questions :)

If the reg was malfunctioning it would either
> make the system to run at higher than normal pressure (normal = 3 Bar) and the sound of the fuel pump would be a lower pitch whirr/whine than normal, plus you'd run rich due to increased pressure on injectors
> allow the system to run at lower pressure than normal, the fuel pump sound would be a higher pitch than normal and you'd run lean due to lower pressure on injectors
> not allow fuel to run to injectors at all and the bike wouldn't run. the reg works by allowing fuel at 3 bar pressure out the fuel line and dumps the rest of the fuel back into the tank

IIRC the stock fuel pump doesn't run at much higher pressure without the reg anyway, think it was 3.5 bar.

Last edited:
The first pump was OEM, Second one a Kemso. Not sure where they are on the scale of spuriosity.
Yes, I'm using the tea bag filter.
I'm going for option 2. ...with an option on #3 as now it's not pumping fuel at all, but before that there wa a high pitched whine even while the engine was running.

Have you tested the old pump on the bench with 12v, to see what it runs like alone?

High pitched whine could mean lower pressure or also something foreign in the pump and is flying around scraping until it jams and stops your bike too.

Thanks for your answers.
No I haven't checked the old pump, good idea.
Thanks again,.
Sean

Back