Found these in my gas tank.....

thorin

Owner of Goliath, the giant motorcycle
Ride
2005 Triumph Rocket III
Hey all,
finally got my replacement gas tank yesterday and spent the morning swapping out the damaged for the new. after removing the fuel pump and float assembly, found these loose in the old tank.
the metal disks are rather heavy but are not dissolvable material. the plastic "cages" look like they could be opened to install or replace the metal disks.
i have started and run the bike, seems to run fine with the new tank (without these pieces).
any thoughts?
IMG_5406.jpg
IMG_5407.jpg

V-E-R-Y Interesting . . .
Can't wait to learn what it is!
One of the gurus will hopefully know and be along . . . soon I hope.

You mentioned that they are heavy, maybe a way of adding lead to the fuel when only unleaded fuel is available???
Mal the Kiwi.

Interesting thought indeed!
I thought these "modern" engines of today have valve systems designed to cope with today's gas?

Hey all,
finally got my replacement gas tank yesterday and spent the morning swapping out the damaged for the new. after removing the fuel pump and float assembly, found these loose in the old tank.
the metal disks are rather heavy but are not dissolvable material. the plastic "cages" look like they could be opened to install or replace the metal disks.
i have started and run the bike, seems to run fine with the new tank (without these pieces).
any thoughts?
IMG_5406.jpg
IMG_5407.jpg
I have one in my 69 BSA lightning, attached is a picture of the product, it makes some strong performance claims but I think its more about adding some lead back into the fuel helps protect engine components like valves. You can probably find it on ebay.

Attachments

• fuel catalyst.PNG
    fuel catalyst.PNG
    27.9 KB · Views: 3
It's snake oil. If snake oil comes in solids anyway. Any dolt knows that the lead in gas is/was tetraethyl lead which cannot be made just be soaking some lead pellets in the gas. If some elemental lead dissolves it will not do anything. If it does you will see a buff colored residue in the tailpipe and the next time you report for state inspections you will be tarred and feathered. If there is no buff colored residue there IS NO LEAD in the fuel, and none to do your valve seats any good. But on your modern engine you have hardened valve seats and do not need lead at all.

Back