For the thousandth time, tires

Now this will be muck raking to a certain degree, but what are the main issues with the Metzler tyres? I bought my Rocket last June (2017) and it came with a new set of the aforementioned tyres. So far, no problems with either grip or handling. It also came with new Triumph aftermarket footrests, but both are now 'scuffed' and not in what could be described as pristine condition. To get a bike that weighs in at 700lbs or so and still scrape the crap out of the pegs..can't be all bad???

They grip decently, however, many riders have experienced premature tire cupping of the front tire which, in my particular case, induced a severe wobble while decelerating in gear at around 40mph. My rear was done quite early. While it wasn't horrid as far as ultimate grip goes, other tires feel better. The Avon rear has a more round shape in profile and allows much easier steering effort than the Metzler, coupled with the 140/75 front, it becomes very aggressive steering.

The E-Max has a more flat profile, but, being a taller tire, mostly makes up for the flatter profile, with the same Avon tire on the front I swapped from the Avon rear to the E-Max rear, the result was slightly slower steering but better rear feedback than the Avon or the Metzler.

@Claviger - Than k you for a really in depth response. Have to admit that after last weekend I have lost a lot of the rubber on the rear wheel so a change will have to be made sooner rather than later! Thank you:cool::cool:

Your on. :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky: Been doing a bit of practice. Found the back brake a few months ago. Also kind of figured the Rocket can lean a bit more than the Harley.:inlove:inlove:inlove:inlove:inlove:inlove:inlove:inlove
Learning to use the front for trail braking will help you get faster in the turns too. As far as leaning, the foot pegs will fold to the point of smashing your foot and it'll still stick to the road. :thumbsup:

Learning to use the front for trail braking will help you get faster in the turns too. As far as leaning, the foot pegs will fold to the point of smashing your foot and it'll still stick to the road. :thumbsup:

Curious about what that all means I went and measured the angle of initial touch down of the foot pegs, with the help of the missus, with my bike vertical and me on it.

Little geometry 37.7 degrees.

Now, fold the pegs up and the next thing to touch on my bike is the engine crash bars, yielding hard part grinding at 47.2 degrees.

This is all static of course and suspension loading will make the angles a bit smaller, but, it should illuminate WHY some of us prioritize grip over anything else, the R3 CAN achieve some very significant lean angles, numbers far far beyond any V-Twin cruiser, closer to sport touring bikes than any other class... if you dare push that hard (I don’t trust my tires enough to go that deep in a corner, instead I just move more body weight inboard).

@Claviger - Than k you for a really in depth response. Have to admit that after last weekend I have lost a lot of the rubber on the rear wheel so a change will have to be made sooner rather than later! Thank you:cool::cool:

Heat murders Metzlers, so riding hard in summer weather where it gets hot outside will do a lot of harm to them.

Pirelli Rosso IIIs suffer the same issue and are widely shunned by fast sportbikers because they get greasy when overheated.

No reason think there’s any significant difference in compound design between the two Metzler = Pirelli and they’ve released identical tires badges to each brand that differ in only tread pattern more than once in the last 10 years.

Curious about what that all means I went and measured the angle of initial touch down of the foot pegs, with the help of the missus, with my bike vertical and me on it.

Little geometry 37.7 degrees.

Now, fold the pegs up and the next thing to touch on my bike is the engine crash bars, yielding hard part grinding at 47.2 degrees.

This is all static of course and suspension loading will make the angles a bit smaller, but, it should illuminate WHY some of us prioritize grip over anything else, the R3 CAN achieve some very significant lean angles, numbers far far beyond any V-Twin cruiser, closer to sport touring bikes than any other class... if you dare push that hard (I don’t trust my tires enough to go that deep in a corner, instead I just move more body weight inboard).

Rob,
You have just saved me a whole bunch of grunting!!!
Gratitude!
37° pegs and 47° engine guards.
So happy I eliminated the pegs and gained about an inch or so with my Standard boards! The boards do grind, but not near as frequently.
OMG.jpg Thumbs-Up.jpg

Just general ideas as you know, it'll differ as the bike moves and for different parts etc, but, its a hell of a lot more angle than I expected when folding up the peg.

Back