For the thousandth time, tires

My brother rode one and it found it below expectations and terrible wear life.
I reckon it to be a HD class tire.

I will agree with that. I had the dunlop elite on my Harley Fatboy and it was total.... s h i t t e. Ok at best in the dry, terrible in the rain and terrifying on metal grid bridges.

That's an excellent picture on tire tech and contact patches!! Thanks for posting.

So, I'm getting the general vibe the Metzler's are no bueno, yes? I bought a 2016 Roadster with 850 miles, has metzlers front and rear, which is now concerning.

The Metz are ok while they are "free"

Around 4k miles you'll be looking at the front needing replaced due to cupping and wear. Around 6-8k the rear will most likely need replaced due to wear.

Some people get more, some less. But most leave Metz behind.

@1olbull has a tire matrix posted somewhere here on the forums .

That's an excellent picture on tire tech and contact patches!! Thanks for posting.

So, I'm getting the general vibe the Metzler's are no bueno, yes? I bought a 2016 Roadster with 850 miles, has metzlers front and rear, which is now concerning.

Metzeler is a fine tire, BUT for some reason NOT on a Rocket.
The rear Metzeler would occasionally step out on me during normal turns from a stop = NOT GOOD!
I ran them (200/60R16 aspect ratio) on my big Kaw V2K V-twin and they were good rear tires.
The fronts; however, had severe early cupping issues.

I will agree with that. I had the dunlop elite on my Harley Fatboy and it was total.... s h i t t e. Ok at best in the dry, terrible in the rain and terrifying on metal grid bridges.

Please note that we speak of the "Dunlop American Elite".
Not to be confused with the Dunlop Elite 3 or Elite 4, which are excellent tires!
Dunlop should be Female dog-Slapped for demeaning their fine "Elite" tire brand by using the same name on the "American So-So" tire!

The Metz are ok while they are "free"
Around 4k miles you'll be looking at the front needing replaced due to cupping and wear. Around 6-8k the rear will most likely need replaced due to wear.
Some people get more, some less. But most leave Metz behind.
@1olbull has a tire matrix posted somewhere here on the forums .

Gratitude for the mention, Anthony!
Hope these may help someone . . .

Possible Rocket Roadster Tires.jpg Tire Size Comparisons.jpg

I have Avon Cobras on my 2014 R3T and am using Avon's recommended tire pressures of 38F/44R. The tires have almost 3.400 miles on them. I was riding on a road with which I am familiar for the first time on my R3T and it has tar snakes. The front slid sideways while going through a curve, which certainly got my attention. I had not had this experience on my previous bike, a Kawasaki Nomad with Michelin Commander II tires. It was warm, high 80's F, so the tar snakes were soft. I have ridden on this road before on the Nomad/Commander combination at the same or higher temperatures without this problem. Do Avon Cobras have a problem with tar snakes?

I have Avon Cobras on my 2014 R3T and am using Avon's recommended tire pressures of 38F/44R. The tires have almost 3.400 miles on them. I was riding on a road with which I am familiar for the first time on my R3T and it has tar snakes. The front slid sideways while going through a curve, which certainly got my attention. I had not had this experience on my previous bike, a Kawasaki Nomad with Michelin Commander II tires. It was warm, high 80's F, so the tar snakes were soft. I have ridden on this road before on the Nomad/Commander combination at the same or higher temperatures without this problem. Do Avon Cobras have a problem with tar snakes?

My experience with tar snakes over many years of riding is that when its hot out and they get soft, no matter what tire you have there can be some slippage.

Yep. Ain’t tire will slip on a tar snakes given the right conditions.

The Avon’s aren’t particularly prone to it.

Back