Foglight switch

Molinoman

Living Legend
Ride
2017 Polaris Slingshot
As some of you know while I am back in Afghanistan for the next 5 or so weeks I am having a lot of accessories installed on my Rocket at D&D Cycles. One thing I haven't really given much thought to was the foglight installation. I know how they will look on the cycle from various photos, but is there a switch to activate the foglights (I am assuming they are not on all the time) and if so where is it usually located and does anyone have a picture showing it installed (I would imagine somewhere on the handlebars)? I would appreciate any help on this.
Thanks in advance.
Dennis
37 dtg!

Fog light switch.

Mounted up against the clutch lever. Hangs below the bar. The little box has a second mount hole for any other switch you might want to co-locate. Perhaps your boom box amplifier power supply switch:D. Or perhaps a controller for Spike's urinary issue.

Last edited:
Fog Light Switch

I believe so, but I don't recall that much flange mass above the bar. I'll have to look in the daylight.

And yes, those toggle switches are the cat's meow...NOT! What is OEM suppose to mean: Fits right and looks like it belongs there??? BS! That's what Triumph gets for farming out/out sourcing.

Last edited:
Well, well

Thanks guys for the info and picture. Since the Rocket doesn't have a "panel" like my Gold Wing I wasn't sure what to expect. I am surprised that it is controlled by a toggle switch, may have to "invent" something that may blend in better...something with a push button doodad or whatever. At least it also answered my question of whether or not they stay on all the time.
Dennis
37 dtg!

Fug lites....

Boy am I glad I didn't get the fog lights and put them on. Those switches are poor. They aren't even moisture proof. Open toggles like that need to be encased in rubber boots. At least you can save your switches.....Good old Radio Shack has rubber boots for those. They screw over the threaded portion of the switch stem after the switches themselves are secured in the plastic handlebar mount, which, looks a little cheesey, but doable. The boots will render the switches splashproof and moisture proof but it looks as though the housing may leak (plastic housing that is). The switches will be immune to moisture. I'd also open the housing and apply soime di-electric grease to the switch terminals and the switches themselves in the plastic housing.

I always keep a tube of di-electric grease in the toolbox. It's good for bulb sockets or any electrical connection that has moisture present........No, it's not a substitute for KY Jelly.

The toggles can be replaced with a black push button switch with little effort.
I too am a believer in di-electric grease. I see how effective it is in automotive light sockets. I have great success with same when applied in spark plug caps and electrical connections of all kinds. Really keeps dust and moisture at bay. I did an experiment in my chicken barns by applying di-electric grease to the electrical connections of 6 large propane space heaters and left the other 12 alone. The space heaters with no di-electric grease had to be dried with a blow dryer before I get get them to stay ignited. The others fired right up. Miracle grease?:)
For myself I wouldn't worry about the rain any more than I would worry about the horn, turn signal, high beam and starter button getting wet. Why? My wind screen will divert a lot of moisture and given everything is properly grounded I would just put a Walmart bag over each handle when parked for any length of time. If you do run into problems then you can try the di-electric grease method. I'll bet most of us don't even ride in the rain unless its absolutely unavoidable. Flip sure doesn't cuz he would melt!:D

See how easy that was......:)

Last edited:
I haven't put them on yet, but the Heated grips have a housing for the heated grip switch AND the Fog lights, which you see in the picture all the way to the right of the photo. I would assume that if you purchased fog lights you would get the same switch housing, so if you had both the heated grips and fog lights more likely than not you would end up with an extra housing that might be a useful cat toy.

Word of the day

Word of the day....Hardwire. "If" i had the fog lights, i'd just hard wire them in to run full time and do away with the butt ugly switch housing. Bigern

Back