Floating Rotors

wilbur-t

Top Fuel
The front rotors on the R3, like most new bikes, float on the mounting pins. If the pins get dirty, and the rotor can't float, you can get a brake vibration. This is the one thing the dealer took care of for me by cleaning and lubing the pins.

How did he... lube them and with what?? I do get a sqeak every now and then... it might be caused by what you are talking about..

:eek: Speaking of front rotors that float,wonder if you have a comment about the following that happened after her 1st wash.Of coarse fade untill dry but lever faded to handle.:eek: Pumping would bring it back out to slowly leak back.Happened for about 20min.and it stopped doing it just before I got to dealer who changed out dark fluid for clean and Dink checked it all out.Hasn't done it since.He said the disc could have wabled pushing pistons out,causing a long throw but this was bleed-by,grab then leaked.Stumped me,but that's easy.:confused:

To me... that sounds like an internal leak in your master cyclinder. I don't know why or how.. and they don't tend to fix themselves, either. Both the The Pigman and myself have noticed that lever travel on the front brake seems to get longer as time goes on, but nothing serious. I think when I have to change out the front pads I'll bleed it also just for Yucks....

Yes, a very strange occurrence. Sometimes it takes a lot of lever travel to get the front brakes to bite but other times it is fine. I haven't found a correlation between anything to determine a cause. If it does continue I might pay a visit to the dealer.

You guys are on to something cuz my front brake acts the same way intermittently. It really got my attention yesterday. I actually locked up my back brake to compensate for the front brake. At first i though it simple heat related but then I heard a click this morning before i started out, when applying the front brake, so something is hanging up. May be related, maybe not. The lines are easy enough to bleed so I'll try that first, along with a brake fluid change. I'll clean the front caliper, check the pads and the like to.

Hondax, they said this problem with the rotors not moving on the pins is usually seen on bikes that live on dirt roads. I dont know what they lubed the pins with, but you can move them back and forth easily now. All the vibration when braking is gone. I wish the vib. on accel. was too!:(

wilbur-t said:
Hondax, they said this problem with the rotors not moving on the pins is usually seen on bikes that live on dirt roads. I dont know what they lubed the pins with, but you can move them back and forth easily now. All the vibration when braking is gone. I wish the vib. on accel. was too!:(

Well I live on a dirt road so that could explain part of the problem.:cool:

Appreciate the input guys,like you,my lever is pretty far in before engagement and don't ride as my life depended on the front brake but it would build confidence to know it's there if I need it.:confused:

Well, after 2 trips up and down my dirt road, the brake vib. was back!:mad:

I guess I'll have to put up with it until the road is paved. Ever since the weather got hot, the good ol' N.C.D.O.T. boys have been in ultra-slow motion!:(

Back