Floating Rotors

I have STRANGE rotors......

wilbur-t said:
Well, after 2 trips up and down my dirt road, the brake vib. was back!:mad:

I guess I'll have to put up with it until the road is paved. Ever since the weather got hot, the good ol' N.C.D.O.T. boys have been in ultra-slow motion!:(

Wilbur:

I too live on a dirt road at least 2 miles from the pavement. I always go really SLOW, like putting at an idle in first gear, 'cause I hate getting the bike dusty before I even get to go anywhere, besides, it's dirt and gravel and we all know gravel is ball bearings for a bike (that's why I like my sidecar).

I have no brake vibration, I have something else.

My rotors are loose, both of them. Not where they mount to the hub, that's solid. Where the pins are and the rotor sits on the pins I have both axial and lateral play. I can move the rotor sideways in relationship to the centerline of the axle as well as in a radial movement. This weekend one of the guys I rode with was right in front of me off to the side and we were riding on the interstate and crossing tar strips and when we stopped for gas he told me he could distinctly hear a tinking sound. Alerted to that, I listened carefully and there is a metallic tinking sound that has to be the rotors making noise on the pins as I hit small bumps. Everything is tight up front, I checked that a couple of times.

One guy had a Victory, one had a VTX 1800 and one had a Hardley, all with disc brakes, all full floating like the Rocket and I checked all their rotors (looked stupid on my hands and knees wiggling or trying to wiggle rotors at a gas station). All the other bikes had axial (side to side play) of maybe a couple thousands of an inch or so (just like the R3), but NONE had radial play which I have. The radial play seems (without putting a dial indicator on the disc which I can if need be) the same on both front disc's.

The brake lever is solid and the actuation travel never changes. I have the adjustable lever set in the 4 position as I like it close to the grip anyway. There is no oscillation in the lever, actually the brakes are silky smooth and very progressive and work flawlessly other than the tinking sound and the apparent looseness of the disc's themselves.

I am curious as to what the dealer would lube the pins with because the only thing that would work and penetrate the space would be High Pressure Silicone, but that, if it came in contact with the friction material on the pads would render them useless.

The bike ran without a hitch, got around 35 mpg and ran over 200 miles in a monsoon without a hiccup.

Comments appreciated. Should I ignore the disc's or do I have a problem brewing??

This is just my two cents worth... but I don't think you should have any radial play at all. That means that every time you use the brakes you are slamming the hogged out holes into the pins and something is going to wear very quickly once it reaches a certain point. I would check with the dealer on this asap...

Lateral play is OK... thats the "floating" part. That helps equalize pad pressure on both sides of the rotor for better braking response.

Back