Fitting non-Metzler Front Tire question - H rating

tdragger

Living Legend
I noticed today that the front Metz is getting a little thin (9000 miles) so the hunt for a new tire begins.

My riding style fits the touring mode. Is a V rated front tire absolutely necessary?

I'm considering the Dunlop 404 which is less than 1/2 the cost of the Metz but it is only H rated. Is this a valid replacement?

Also, next rear tire will be to the darkside, probably a Riken 225/55R16.

If you're not into sport riding then the H rated Dunlop should work fine for you. Some people noted it was more prone to slip during cornering which is to be expected for a harder rubber.

H rated tires are standard on most touring and standard cruisers including the new Rocket Touring and I think the Rocket Classic as well. I wouldn't worry about it if you're not aggressive in the corners and usually stay below the 130 MPH rating.

Anything over 100 mph is for the more brave than me. I've got kids to think of.

Hard cornering is out, too. I enjoy it but the bruises on my back and the ringing in my ears when I lean too far forces me to back off a bit. :wink:

no exactly where your coming from mate, but dont she handle ruffer without the extra balist. some times I wish she was there a bit more often LOL...

Back