Trailer hitches...

Chip

Turbocharged
Ride
08 Rocket Touring, 15 Rocket Touring
I own and ride a couple of Triumph Rocket III Touring models. When I purchased the first, a 2008 R3T I started to turn the cycle into a rolling Recliner. I enjoyed all the changes I put on her. The front is a full fairing with stereo and speakers. The rear is a King 2 tour pak. I looked for hitches, and found a couple that I could purchase. Neither one was exactly what I wanted. I have a small welding / fabrication shop. I am somewhat of tool hoarder. Drill press, milling machine. Various band saws and a nice small 20 ton press. I own 4 or 5 welders and used to be a certified welder.
With what I know, it became clear to build my own hitch. I like a removable receiver. I also wanted to be able to take the complete hitch off without damaging or scratching my Rocket. I made mine and used it to pull a cycle trailer around the eastern U.S. and parts of Canada. No issues. I’ve built a couple for my friends. After 30 years of fabrication I have not had any issues.
My question is, do I want to build and sell a few of these to Rocket owners? Is the good feeling for helping other Captains worth any liability i will assume for building hitches? Give me opinions please. Chip.

I believe you should . You know the product that it is going to be hooked up to , which means you are knowledgeable to the small details that matter . I'm interested & yes price goes into the decision but also I'm in Canada . Mind you , Michigan could be a really nice ride to go and install it . I am thinking of driving around the lakes this summer . Instead of doing it ccwise , do it cwise . And maybe pickup a trailer while on the road. Something to think about ! I ride a R3T 2012 .

I believe you should . You know the product that it is going to be hooked up to , which means you are knowledgeable to the small details that matter . I'm interested & yes price goes into the decision but also I'm in Canada . Mind you , Michigan could be a really nice ride to go and install it . I am thinking of driving around the lakes this summer . Instead of doing it ccwise , do it cwise . And maybe pickup a trailer while on the road. Something to think about ! I ride a R3T 2012 .
Well, listen to you! I’m sure we can do all the high finance when we meet up, I like your plan. I

There are existing items.

The challenge, as we have seen with @tribal 's thread "moto life", with poor engineering and choice of materials and construction technique, one can have something heavy that is seemingly solid and yet poorly suited to the task.

Ideally, you will have a clever design that is similar to an aircraft or spacecraft in approach, lightweight and strong, with attention to fatigue resistance.

Do that, and I will want one.

I agree that the design is the primary key. The liability only becomes the issue when conditions occur causing a failure. Whenever I take a friend into my shop for the first time, the questions are very predictable.
1). “ Are all this stuff yours?”
2). “ I didn’t know you have a welding business.”
3). And last but not least, “ How much will you charge to make me....”

Seriously, if you look at the hitches on the market for the R3T it doesn’t get much easier. I use the bracket that bolts the exhaust slip ons up. That is 2/bolts per side. The connecting piece is bolted to each side with 2 bolts/nuts/lock washers. Where I make my hitch unique is I fabricate a receiver assembly like you have on a class 3 auto/truck hitch. When your done hauling your trailer, pull the 1/2” pin and clip. The ball and tubing can be stored. I hate seeing a motorcycle with a ball hanging . The hitch is fabricated with 2x2 angle as the frame. The frame looks similar to the frame on a pickup truck. Just to scale. The only factor of concern is the amount of torque our Rockets have. IF a Captain hooked up to a a automotive trailer, the bike would pull it. The hitch will holdup. What would fail is the pannier frame will collapse.

I think that for my planning, I will fabricate 6 hitches. All will be interchangeable for the TR3T, 2300cc motorcycle. I’ll have a limited liability clause in each sale. I’m going to charge $175.00 each. Shipping costs will be the responsibility of the customer. O.K., that takes care of the crap part. Anyone who disagrees give me a private memo. The money part means close to nothing. So many of our members have helped me on issues, I hate to even charge. Those of you, please understand if a price isn’t listed, it becomes impossible to keep everything on the straight and narrow. I priced out the materials and had to check the prices 3 times. The local metal dealer, ALRO, said this business has costs double in the last few months. Crazy.
One last twist. If you Capt.‘s want a trip, ride your bike to my place, have a beverage on me and I’ll install your trailer hitch for free Labor.

I think that for my planning, I will fabricate 6 hitches. All will be interchangeable for the TR3T, 2300cc motorcycle. I’ll have a limited liability clause in each sale. I’m going to charge $175.00 each. Shipping costs will be the responsibility of the customer. O.K., that takes care of the crap part. Anyone who disagrees give me a private memo. The money part means close to nothing. So many of our members have helped me on issues, I hate to even charge. Those of you, please understand if a price isn’t listed, it becomes impossible to keep everything on the straight and narrow. I priced out the materials and had to check the prices 3 times. The local metal dealer, ALRO, said this business has costs double in the last few months. Crazy.
One last twist. If you Capt.‘s want a trip, ride your bike to my place, have a beverage on me and I’ll install your trailer hitch for free Labor.
Sad to say, liability is one of main issues to consider when doing something for someone else.

Chip, I would buy that in a heartbeat. Not sure I could convince my wife to make the ride for you to install it, but with pictures of what it looks like installed, I'm capable. I would sign whatever waiver you need and happily pay shipping. I'm fairly certain I could fab it with my little welder, but I'm not confident that my metallurgical skills would stand up to the abuse the way that yours will. If you're still willing and able to do this, let me know what you need. I have a 2006 R3 Classic, which has a wider frame at the rear, I believe, than the R3T, so as to accommodate the wider rear tire.

Kind regards,

Back