Trailer hitches...

I own and ride a couple of Triumph Rocket III Touring models. When I purchased the first, a 2008 R3T I started to turn the cycle into a rolling Recliner. I enjoyed all the changes I put on her. The front is a full fairing with stereo and speakers. The rear is a King 2 tour pak. I looked for hitches, and found a couple that I could purchase. Neither one was exactly what I wanted. I have a small welding / fabrication shop. I am somewhat of tool hoarder. Drill press, milling machine. Various band saws and a nice small 20 ton press. I own 4 or 5 welders and used to be a certified welder.
With what I know, it became clear to build my own hitch. I like a removable receiver. I also wanted to be able to take the complete hitch off without damaging or scratching my Rocket. I made mine and used it to pull a cycle trailer around the eastern U.S. and parts of Canada. No issues. I’ve built a couple for my friends. After 30 years of fabrication I have not had any issues.
My question is, do I want to build and sell a few of these to Rocket owners? Is the good feeling for helping other Captains worth any liability i will assume for building hitches? Give me opinions please. Chip.
I would be interested in one...'09 R3T...mostly stock....

Well, I'll tell you what, I'll give it to you, you pay shipping. But the strut that goes side to side, supports the bottom of the bags from sagging in, gets replaced by trailer hitch, I lost mine years ago, I'll trade you for the strut you going to replace. Otherwise I can't use bags. Might be available still, IDK.

Hey Rocky
I have a hitch from Trailer inc in Canada . It is a very easy hitch to fabricate . I just happened to have taken it off to do some work on the rear end of my bike . I believe I could actually stencil it out on crap paper . It can be cut out of ½ or ⅝ steel plate . This you could have done at a steel shop & it would probably be much cheaper . Let me know if your interested and I would work on this during the weekend . I would send picture of hitch on and of the bike No charge , just helping out .
Bernie
Bernie, good news / bad news.... Got the hitch cut and mounted today. In my mind I would have designed the hitch to mount on the OUTSIDE holes next to the exhaust so as not to disturb the pipes AND to make it easier to install/uninstall.... in the future I will design one like this. Wanted to let you know tho that it is on and I am planning on taking it up to Alberta this weekend for a rally at the US/Canada border... I cannot figure out the wiring harness tho. Lastly, I would like to send you some funds to cover the cost of postage for the template. Let me know. Thanks!!!

Bernie, good news / bad news.... Got the hitch cut and mounted today. In my mind I would have designed the hitch to mount on the OUTSIDE holes next to the exhaust so as not to disturb the pipes AND to make it easier to install/uninstall.... in the future I will design one like this. Wanted to let you know tho that it is on and I am planning on taking it up to Alberta this weekend for a rally at the US/Canada border... I cannot figure out the wiring harness tho. Lastly, I would like to send you some funds to cover the cost of postage for the template. Let me know. Thanks!!!
I really happy that it's working for you . The wiring is a bit of a pisser but it can be done . I ordered a RED WOLF 4-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness Connector 4 Way Flat Trailer Plug Replacement For 2009-2019 Subaru Forester/Outback/Crosstrek . I spliced into the rear wiring harness. Just to the rear of the connector . That way you don't touch the main harness . Keep all connections in the rear sub-harness . If the hitch can be improved go for it and let me know . As for funds , no need , was more than happy to help . As for your trip have fun maybe send a couple of pics of your rig . As for myself I am heading off to a rally in Ontario 8-9-10 of September and am also taking the mini-mate . Ride safe .

Back