need help with signal lights re trailer hookup

vancouverrocket

Standard Bore
Hi everyone. I am new to the forum, late in the fall I bought a 2009 R3T and will be towing a motorcycle tent trailer. I have wired the bike, but can't get the signal lights to flash once the bike is hooked up to the trailer - the lights on the trailer are not LED. I was told that I should change the flasher, but can't find it. Can anyone tell me where the flasher is located?

Thanks, vancouverrocket

Sounds like you have too much drain on the signal circuit.

I too plan to wire my R3 up to pull a trailer.

I plan to wire in an isolation circuit so the trailer will be drawing directly from the battery by way of relays.

The isolation harnesses available run about $40-60.

My bad, I didn't even notice the T in there. I know absolutely nothing on the Touring, sorry. (but I would expect it to be the same little gizmo, just hiding somewhere else?)

Well the dealer called Triumph and they said that there is no flasher unit on the Rocket 3 Touring - it is part of the instrument assembly. Anyway, I changed the lights on the trailer to LED and now they work, but still not enough power to work them properly. I was told to change the bulbs on the bike to LED as well, but can't find them anywhere in town. Anyone know where I can locate the signal light bulbs in LED? I live in Vancouver, British Columbia, any leads would be greatly appreciated.

vancouverrocket

vancouverrocket said:
Well the dealer called Triumph and they said that there is no flasher unit on the Rocket 3 Touring - it is part of the instrument assembly. Anyway, I changed the lights on the trailer to LED and now they work, but still not enough power to work them properly. I was told to change the bulbs on the bike to LED as well, but can't find them anywhere in town. Anyone know where I can locate the signal light bulbs in LED? I live in Vancouver, British Columbia, any leads would be greatly appreciated.

vancouverrocket

Try using a relay off the battery directly. The small wires may not carry enough current to do the job. Use the signal line to actuate the relay to close the battery circuit to the trailer light. My 05 Standard was easy to do, but it uses an old fashion system so it wasn't necessary to get fancy. I just tapped the wires to the rear lights to run the trailer hookup using splicing connectors. Maybe 3 minutes of work.

Back