First time Rocket owner looking for simple advice on oil changes

Comotion

.020 Over
Ride
2011 Rocket 3 Touring
First off, thanks for the forum. Triumph doesn't exactly provide a wealth of knowledge in the Rocket "handbook".

I just purchased a 2011 Rocket 3 Touring with 4200 miles on it. I want to change the oil, but can't find any info regarding the filter / filter cover. Does this model have a chrome filter cover, or is that actually the filter? I ask because Amazon is offering a chrome filter, but also black filters.

Secondly, I notice the filter/cover has a hex nut molded into the body with a hole in it. What is the purpose of the hole? I don't want to damage the chrome filter/cover if there is a special tool or technique for removal.

Lastly, oil recommendations? I've seen threads that say use oil from the Triumph dealer, but the local Triumph mechanic (I don't go to the dealer) says he uses Rotella. I tbelieve him, as long as the specifications of the Rotella match the handbook.

I did watch a Youtube video on the oil change for an older model, so I know I need new washers and an o-ring.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Welcome Comotion

Someone soon will come along to advise on the filter questions. You will most likely get a few choices for oil brand a weights.

Where in the States are you located? Different riding temps will determine the oil weight.

Should be a chrome cover to protect a standard spin on filter like below
20161231_110210.jpg

Anthing else is after market. As for oil I would run Mobile 1 4rt 15w50 as the transmission seems to like it. There are many good oils out there. Rotella well if I had some I would use it to start the burn pile. :D

Last edited:
That sounds like you are describing an aftermarket filter with chrome plating and a hex nut welded to the housing. Warp has posted the Triumph chrome cover, I use the EMGO racing filter suggested by Wayne Tripp and have had very good results. Happy New Year and good fortune in your endeavors!

Triumph calls for the Castrol full syn 4T 10W50 for year round use. The older bikes were recommended to use Mobil 1 4T 15W50 but that is no longer offered.

Welcome from NJ.
You can reuse all the drain plug washer and the o ring unless they are damaged. I have some on hand just in case.

The chrome cover just pulls off and is there to protect the filter from road debris. The hole is to let water out?

I use Mobil m110 synthetic oil filter it's a little bigger (longer) than standard.

Lots of good oil out there (rotellas not one). The key is the oil should be full synthetic and have a 4T rating. 4T means it does not have friction modifiers (moly) in it than can cause your clutch to slip.
My manual says 10/40 cool/cold climates and 15/50 warm/hot climates. I do two oil changes a year, 15/50 from late spring to late fall and 10/40 from winter to spring.

On my R3T I use only genuine Triumph or K&N oil Filters, and a great Aussie oil Penrite Racing 15 Full Synthetic PAO Ester 15w -50 Full Zinc, change every 8000Ks ,BTW 8 oil changes and I haven't had to change the O rings yet, 45000Ks fingers crossed only a water pump replaced so far :cautious:

Back