First time rocket iii owner

R3RChad

Standard Bore
Ride
2011 Triumph Rocket III Roadster
Finally I upgraded from a 2002 Honda Magna to a 2011 R3R and it's night and day difference as this beast of a bike is everything I dreamed of.
20230217_164829.jpg
I've had the bike for a couple of weeks and I'm trying to figure out what the previous owners have done to the bike. I know there's a ramair intake, viking pipes, floorboards for the passenger, boss speakers, viking bags and I've ordered a cable for tune ecu to check the tune too. I'm looking for a balanced tune as this is my commuter bike so I'll be waiting in line to get on base too. It seems like 5th gear is only for well above the speed limit (55-60). Anything tips or mods that anyone else would suggest for comfort? I'm looking into a windshield (have the flyscreen) and a trunk too. Thanks for any and all input!

Attachments

• 20230207_155804.jpg
    20230207_155804.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 11
Welcome from Montreal, Canada. Bienvenue . Only thing wrong with this machine is the cheek cramps you get from riding to long . Ride to 7-11 for a liter of milk is at the very least a 4hr drive . Have fun !

Hello @R3RChad and welcome from up the road near Quantico MCB. Go ahead and use that fifth gear, saves a little gas, (a very little, but hey, the environment and all that right?)

Welcome from sunny and warm North Texas. You should spend a little time to set the suspension properly. That will improve comfort a whole lot. Set static sag at about 1/2 inch and get some preload adjusting caps to dial up the front preload if necessary. Also change the fork oil ASAP since that has likely been neglected. That should sort the comfort out. I did my Iron Butt qualifier on my 05 Standard after getting the suspension right and adding some touring features (footboards, Utopia backrest, classic bars, windshield, throttlemeister, etc). The bike is built to ride all day, you just need to dial in what works best for you.

Welcome from South Australia
Get the bike dyno-tuned so it can get the best setup for what you've got, otherwise it will be pretty hot. Generic tunes are just that, and while they will work I would rather spend the extra $$$$ for a bespoke tune....

Welcome to the forum. The Rocket is a unique bike with power like no other.

AWESOME! and WELCOME!! to our R3 Family... What base? A year ago I retired to Tucson after 35 continuous active duty years in the Air Force. I assume you are already using a flip up modular helmet. Makes getting through the gate less cumbersome. Because I ride a Touring and do exactly that when I can, tour; I enjoy rider footboards and a rider back rest. That backrest makes 500+ miles a breeze. On my ride from Dallas to Tucson (seeing some grandkids), which was part of my Miami to Tucson trip, I decided to stop when I got tired. That was about 80 miles out...so I just rode her in. Enjoy your new Perma-Grin :thumbsup: :cool:
-MIG
Here's a photo of Fiona from that trip:
Fiona.jpg

Back