Little advise please for a 1st time Rocket buyer 🚀

TheCornishman

Standard Bore
Ride
🤞 a Rocket soon enough
Hi folks… I’ve always wanted a Rocket since running into one at the dealership back in 2005

One has been offered too me reasonably locally and at a great price.

2008 Rocket Classic, 42k on the clock with 12months MOT

It only has 1x Key & the owner took the alarm off as it kept going off. Since then he says the Speedo doesn’t work ( no sweep either) and the neutral light no longer comes on unless the engine is running 🤔

I am dead keen on snapping it up but don’t want a cheap rocket to become an expensive money pit…. Are these issues common and easy fixes?

Thanks for the input

Attachments

• IMG_1980.png
    IMG_1980.png
    642.3 KB · Views: 11
Welcome from Tucson Arizona Usa
I would say it has an electrical problem that may be hard to fix

So if you are really good with electrical or you can get the price down to make it worth while then i would pass on it.

So if you are really good with electrical or you can get the price down to make it worth while then i would pass on it.
Can I ask what diagnostic process you’d go through?. ..

Seller assured me the bike rides just fine with no EML coming on…

How would you set about finding the fault?

Check the alarm connector under tank, make sure its there, you said he removed alarm system, youre looking for a black plug with wires looped back into it, on exhaust side under tank about at #2 coil, in main wire loom.

Check the alarm connector under tank, make sure its there, you said he removed alarm system, youre looking for a black plug with wires looped back into it, on exhaust side under tank about at #2 coil, in main wire loom.
It had a Datatool 3 removed
Chap has fitted a by bass plug but issue has occurred since with speedo & neutral light 🤔

Assuming bike was ok for a while, like more than 5 minutes after putting in that by pass plug. That would eliminate security plug, The speedo and neutral light could be completely different issues. Sounds like the bike runs and is being ridden? Just no speedo. when you start the bike neutral light will come on, and speedo doesn’t work and no sweep, is what im understanding. Could be bad gear change selector switch, could be bad speed sensor, theres not alot to the electrical system on a rocket, not many sensors and pretty orderly. Youre gonna need the service manual, look in idk signature under lots of stuff. And you will need tune ecu, Without testing it can be a guessing game. Speedo could have died, causing issues, tons of info here on forum if you decide to battle through with this. Ive had same multiple issues when i got my bike and people here helped me through it but i had to get in the book and learn the electrical system as I received help to accomplish this at home.

first i would turn key on kill switch on
the normal operation would be for both is that they sweep and then all of the test lights come on for a couple of seconds.
is the nuetral light comming on when the gauges make their test and are the gauges sweeping?
the bike will not start with out a nuetral light so the ecu is receiving the nuetral signal it is just not getting to the nuetral light in the tach. one prob.
itis a common problem for the odometer to quit reading .
i would think to start cleaning the connectors under the tank and watch for agreen color (bad connections)
i do not beleive this to b an easy problem it is one that you have to check stuff and give us a (what you find answer so we can move on to the next step.

If you know how to do things or can learn based on previous wrenching, get it.
Out of the 6 motorcycles I have had, this is the most reliable, easiest to work on.
06'Ex500, 85' cb650sc, 71'k-f7175cc, rocket III, gsxr
Parts are beefy, still enough used parts out there, and have enough of a cult following that if you snag a used sub 20k one for under 3 grand, you have a good deal.
Imo anything over 4.5 grand has better be a stock garage queen with full complete service history and bags

I got mine for a grand, I know how to TIGn found a used tank on ebay and did the rest, all in all with custom pipes, some serious maintenance, ram air, and some other nice bits, I'm only about 4 grand in the hole with tires!
Definatly not a money pit bike. My Honda cb650sc is a money pit, so is the F7 I have over 14 grand invested into them at this point and they still dont run! Yet!

If you know how to do things or can learn based on previous wrenching, get it.
Out of the 6 motorcycles I have had, this is the most reliable, easiest to work on.
06'Ex500, 85' cb650sc, 71'k-f7175cc, rocket III, gsxr
Parts are beefy, still enough used parts out there, and have enough of a cult following that if you snag a used sub 20k one for under 3 grand, you have a good deal.
Imo anything over 4.5 grand has better be a stock garage queen with full complete service history and bags

I got mine for a grand, I know how to TIGn found a used tank on ebay and did the rest, all in all with custom pipes, some serious maintenance, ram air, and some other nice bits, I'm only about 4 grand in the hole with tires!
Definatly not a money pit bike. My Honda cb650sc is a money pit, so is the F7 I have over 14 grand invested into them at this point and they still dont run! Yet!
Thanks for the opinion and Shari g your experience.

It would owe me around £4k I think with the problems sorted…it’s covered 40k+

I know that’s no big shakes on such a big engine but are there low mileage bikes out there sun £5k in the UK?

Back