Zedmonddog

WAGGY
Ride
Rocket 3 gt, 2021
Hi everyone, I live in Devon and have recently got myself a rocket 3 gt, which I have had for a few weeks now, but haven’t been able to ride, as I came off my little xsr 700 and broke my ribs🙄, so while I was trying to pass the time, I decided to totally remove my cat out of the monster of a exhaust box,, I just cut the whole bottom open and removed and welded back on !! It wasn’t too bad really, if anyone want some pictures or pointers on what I done.? I’m willing to help out anyway I can ? Cheers all 👍

Attachments

• IMG_3448.jpeg
    IMG_3448.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3452.jpeg
    IMG_3452.jpeg
    228.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3451.jpeg
    IMG_3451.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3450.jpeg
    IMG_3450.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3453.jpeg
    IMG_3453.jpeg
    208.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3456.jpeg
    IMG_3456.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3461.jpeg
    IMG_3461.jpeg
    154.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3460.jpeg
    IMG_3460.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3459.jpeg
    IMG_3459.jpeg
    184.7 KB · Views: 9
Are the smaller holes (slide 3) just spot weld points where the CAT was secured inside the collector box?

Can't quite picture where the features highlighted in slide 4 actually are on the collector unit. I guess it will make a bit more sense when I study the thing for real.

What tools/method did you use to cut out the CAT from within the shell of the box? I doesn't look like you could get an angle grinder in there.

Yes please. I'm contemplating the same modification myself. Alright here is what I did, drilled out the spot welds on the bottom of the exhaust, cut out the bottom of exhaust with a 5 “ grinder, used a pry bar and hammer to remove plate from brackets that the spot welds were attached too, then removed bottom of the exhaust box/ plate as pictured, then got my reciprocating saw with some metal cutting blades and cut the cat of at its neck, see pictures, then cut down though each side of the bracket that holds the cat and drove a pry bar down I between the cat and bracket to get the spot welds holding the cat in around the bottom, they will just snap off, then I done the same to the other bracket holding the cat, and it just pulls out, then I marked around the two exhaust tail pipes with a screwdriver, so I knew how much of a hole to cut out when I welded back the larger of the tail pipes, I then cut the spot welds with a grinder, holding the outer larger tail pipes, and then cut out around the inner smaller pipes, then, the two holes in the side of the exhaust which look like they are just dead end holes need grinding out, as these are the two supporting pipes/ brackets that hold the two inner smaller tail pipes in place, I used a die grinder ! , then once you have removed the welds around the top of these holes the two smaller exhaust pipes can be pulled out, then I cleaned up the holes, for the larger outer tail pipes. And welded back in place, I left the smaller single exit pipe as it was, as I didn’t see much point removing it as it seamed to have a clean enough exit for the exhaust gases, I then welded the bottom exhaust plate back on and cleaned up wit a flapper disc and painted, please look at the photos, I think it explains what I did , any way I can help please ask ? I have seen people drilling 3 x2” holes ect, but I found this to be possible a better solution, only my thoughts I will add !!! Thanks

Are the smaller holes (slide 3) just spot weld points where the CAT was secured inside the collector box?

Can't quite picture where the features highlighted in slide 4 actually are on the collector unit. I guess it will make a bit more sense when I study the thing for real.

What tools/method did you use to cut out the CAT from within the shell of the box? I doesn't look like you could get an angle grinder in there.
I have sent you what I done, hammer, pry bar , grinder, and a die grinder!

The two holes are what holds the inner pipe work in place inside the box bud

Back