First Oil Change (600 miles) Questions

Here in the states we have a law called the Magnuson-Moss warranty act that specifically prevents companies from doing that. "Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty" and they must prove that your modifications caused the particular failure for them to not honor the warranty.

That being said, plenty of business still try to deny warranties for BS reasons.
Well you live in the real world over there and dont take any BS, not so much over here.
Thanks for the information, maybe I will tell Triumph in the U.K. to get real😂😂

Hi, it is still under warranty. In the US we can do our own oil changes (need to keep receipts) without invalidating the warranty.
Keeping a log of the service will also work. Date, mileage, and what you did.

Oh right but do you have to use genuine Triumph filter and recommended oil or can you fit pattern/after market parts?
Other branded parts are OK in the US as long as they meet the specifications of the OEM part.

I am getting ready to do my first oil change myself), a couple of questions.
I know I need to remove the front cowling to get to the oil filter, is there anything I should look out for?
What is the oil filter part number, I could not find it in the manual? I would like options of not having to buy from the dealer. There was a post here that mentioned K&N 204-1, that has the bolt at the end, but I heard that this is a weak point and K&N no longer recommends using a socket to tighten it.

Thanks.
That cap bolt should only be used to remove the filter. The original 204 filter did have a problem, but the 204-1 has better welds on it.
once the filter is as tight as u can get with your hands, just another 1/4 turn with a wrench is plenty to keep it tight with no leaks.

I use Motul 7100 full synthetic (15-50) and Wix 51358 filter (supposedly identical to the Triumph branded one).

I'm very pro PUROLATOR OIL FILTERS. The one to use is the Boss PBL 14612 it is the direct cross over. All the same dimensions.
If you would like a tad bit more capacity, the PBL 14610 is about 3/4 of an inch longer. I use both with great success.

Last edited:
I'm very pro PUROLATOR OIL FILTERS. The one to use is the Boss PBL 14612 is the direct cross over. All the same dimensions.
If you would like a tad bit more capacity, the PBL 14610 is about 3/4 of an inch longer. I use both with great success.
Bigger/longer filter always better, with more filter media for sure. I use them on my T-120 also.

In my service said that first service inspection is most important, because except the oil and filter change they check all screws with turn-moment key. I go to first service on friday.

Back