First Oil Change (600 miles) Questions

MFA

.040 Over
I am getting ready to do my first oil change myself), a couple of questions.
I know I need to remove the front cowling to get to the oil filter, is there anything I should look out for?
What is the oil filter part number, I could not find it in the manual? I would like options of not having to buy from the dealer. There was a post here that mentioned K&N 204-1, that has the bolt at the end, but I heard that this is a weak point and K&N no longer recommends using a socket to tighten it.

Thanks.

I use Amsoil and Amsoil filter. The filter number is EaOM103. It's the same filter for the old Generation Rocket and the New generation Rocket....cheers.
I checked the cross reference of this filter against 'Triumph Motorcycle Filters' and it gave me these 2 numbers...

Last edited:
I am getting ready to do my first oil change myself), a couple of questions.
I know I need to remove the front cowling to get to the oil filter, is there anything I should look out for?
What is the oil filter part number, I could not find it in the manual? I would like options of not having to buy from the dealer. There was a post here that mentioned K&N 204-1, that has the bolt at the end, but I heard that this is a weak point and K&N no longer recommends using a socket to tighten it.

Thanks.

Been using K&N for many years. The nut on the end was never intended to be used to tighten, only loosen the filter for replacement. Oil filters should only be installed hand tight.

Hi there
First oil change, does that mean it is out of warranty?
If it isn’t and you use pattern oil filter and do it yourself it WILL invalidate your warranty.
That’s the rules in the UK

Here in the states we have a law called the Magnuson-Moss warranty act that specifically prevents companies from doing that. "Warrantors cannot require that only branded parts be used with the product in order to retain the warranty" and they must prove that your modifications caused the particular failure for them to not honor the warranty.

That being said, plenty of business still try to deny warranties for BS reasons.

Back