Exhaust Sealing Ring... grease?

Once you get no where and decide to use some try permatex ultra copper. Its the highest heat content one. As for just copper gaskets well it definetly possible provided you seat the copper gaskets first before disyorting everthing trying to bolt sll the rear up. Ive used with good result two and three sets of gaskets in each. After market pipes sometimes are a wee bit distorted. Plus tolerance on head machining.

Last edited:
Awesome I will look it up.

I've found that a couple bucks is easier to part with than an afternoon of reattaching the whole thing because going goo-less didn't pan out.

Last edited:
Permatex copper plus and new gaskets equals no leaks.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

+1

I struggled for some time working on my poorly fitting headers, until @warp9.9 did exactly this.

I tried doubling the copper seals - @Paul Bryant sent me some special rectangular cross-section seals and nothing worked, until . . . Warp had me purchase , which he applied, and upon motor startup, no exhaust leak.

@MikeCR pick up a tube of copper RTV, this stuff. I know, in a perfect world you shouldn't need it. What I did was smear some inside the exhaust flange before installing the gaskets, then smashed the gaskets in. Wipe excess RTV out. Apply a healthy amount inside the slip joint on the female side of the junction and slip them together. Let stand at least 12 hours. Ride it gently for a few miles. The carbon build up is what actually seals it, so, you need to give it a little time to accumulate, but after that, let her rip!!

Permatex 81878

Permatex.jpg

After the first ride, while it's still hot, re-torque the exhaust nuts. When the gasket gets hot, it crushes from the torque more than when first installed, resulting in loose nuts, so secure your nuts!! I've only ever had to re-torque that first time and not again.

Back