Status
Not open for further replies.
i am not a tuner so i maybe blowing exhaust out my a$$.
what i would do is choke the exhaust down (AS A TEST) to factory size and then check the temp again u might be pulling air back in and burning the extra fuel in the pipes.
also (AS A TEST) I would cover the pipes with tin foil and see what difference it made.

Just curious but if the bike was tuned by a professional would they have not caught the cam timing was off?
Good question but I think he is running a hanso tune. Not sure if it was tuned when it was put back together. If it was stock and triumph did it you can bet not. If it was and it was the tuners first time at a rocket he night nit notice if the power was down a wee bit. I seen know numbers so I was working on the basis it had not been

So what is your response to this ?
Post number 165.

I'm not getting this either?o_O

It seems to me like there are several bikes out there that are tuned way too lean. This in it's self, is completely understandable given
the fact that we are all able to "monkey" with the ECU using software. But there seems to be some notion that there is one tune for each configuration, i.e. if I have the same mods that you have, my tune should work perfectly in your bike. I just don't think that's the case.
This just isn't the same thing as the old school stuff we used to do. With electronic ignition and fuel injection being controlled by micro chips with feedback loops there can be a wide range of tuning for a given bike where the differences in them could not be detectable by feel or driving alone and the bike could run great at both ends of that range.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I did insert a tune that ran just great and in less than a mile down the road I sensed extreme heat through my moto-port suit. I made a U-turn ran back and took it out and put the old one back in and it ran just as great, no excess heat? BTW I'm averaging around 34 MPG now and I have ridden this latest tune for a year now and been in New York City downtown traffic for 45 min in 102 degree heat and, yes, I was hot all over from not moving and ATGAT but the heat coming off the header was not unusual in my opinion.

Ultimately, without a proper dyno you can't know what you've got going on at this finite control level.

Buying special boots, chaps, heat shields, and asbestos wrapping are all good and well, but masking or ignoring the abnormal condition that your setup is running will eventually cost you a lot more. JMHO
His bike was Dyno'
My bike is brand new. No issues. Custom tune for my current setup. 87 octane tune.

Matter of fact i brought the bike back after my first tune to see if tuner could help resolve the heat issue through tuning.

I'll tell you what my tuner told me. This system absolutely needs a heat shield. There's no way around it even with ceramic coating. He tunes twin turbo busas and all sorts of other exotic setups. He knows how to tune an NA engine so his tuning ability can't be called into question.

He even tuned my bike slightly rich to help but it didn't do much.

I will say this, the bike is making incredible power and is very smooth. I'm happy with the performance and looks of the header.

I'm not happy with the customer service or heat. I'm not crying over spilled milk. I'm giving my experience. Most of us found Viking on this forum so to have a constructive discussion on here only makes sense. It cost me money to make things right. That's the bottom line.

My dyno sheet is below.

IMG_8914.JPG
This is a Dyno for a 2016 R3, having the same issues. Is it the tune? ( I have Autotune/PC V) and still the same heat.
Could it be POSSIBLE that these 2 were coated incorrectly, and that could be the issue? Everyone seems to be pointing at the bike, or the tune.... how about the coating?

Ceramic coating will not cool the pipes down enough for you, if all else is up to specs you have a few options, get heat shields made or do the unthinkable and wrap the pipes, I have just installed a new Carpenter Sidewinder exhaust system and as my pipes are way bigger than yours mine in theory should produce more heat and yes they produce a lot more than the stock system but nothing that is driving me up the wall, I have no intention of putting heat shields on.
If you think it is the pipes sell them they will go in an instant then try CES or others or even go back to stock.
I know this has been a real pain for you and I/we all hope you get it sorted out to your satisfaction.

I've been on the phone to High Performance Coatings.
Donivan Newtons pipe was coated on the 19th of July
Sonny's system was coated on the 26th of July. NO problems there.
Abe Mashals pipe was coated on the 10th of August.
HPC Processed 143 systems between Newtons & Mashals systems.
No other system has had a coating issue.
The problem is not the coating.

Ceramic coatings containing color mixed formulas have very little actual ceramic material in the mix, plus the coating is applied so thin that they provide much less of a barrier compared to a pure ceramic coating. You might consider having the pipes recoated through the folks at Swain Tech Coatings. Their White Lightning coating is pure ceramic and applied at .015" thick (standard colored ceramic is .002" thick). The disadvantage of the Swain Tec coating is it is not smooth and only comes in white. Their coating can be painted over and the paint color will not dull as you see in the colored ceramic coatings. They claim to provide up to a 55% reduction in heat and their coatings are used in many race car applications. Might be worth a look!

I've been on the phone to High Performance Coatings.
Donivan Newtons pipe was coated on the 19th of July
Sonny's system was coated on the 26th of July. NO problems there.
Abe Mashals pipe was coated on the 10th of August.
HPC Processed 143 systems between Newtons & Mashals systems.
No other system has had a coating issue.
The problem is not the coating.

Thank you .....

I have contacted a very reputable company here in the States that will put on a ceramic coating that will reduce the external temp by 40% (the said 50, but 40 is more realistic). I am keeping the system, no complaints with the craftsmanship. I think the issue is with the coating. I will eventually get I coated, but I've busted the bank to figure out it's not my bike or the tune... it's the coating.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my header back from Jet-Hot, and ran a 5 minute idle test. The temp dropped 150-200 degrees depending on where I took the reading. I put back on my fabricated heat shields (WITH NO WRAPPING), and it took the temp almost back to stock at a 5 minute idle. The proof is in the results, and it took me a bit, and a lot of $$ to get there... but I did.
So IMOHO, I think that the coating was faulty on the header that I got, once I got it re-ceramic coated, it is working as it should, and as the others that Viking has made. Paul does quality work. I wish it didn't have to go this far, but it is what it is. I hope this helps someone in the future, or at least shows the members that they might want to hold there tongue before spouting off.

D.

I hope this means you can get on the Rocket, and get the most out of it, for your enjoyment in life.

Please stick around, enjoy the company, share your experiences, and may you live long and prosper.

Last edited:
Folks, life is about expectations. When our expectations are one thing, and our perception something else, we can be happy or sad, or in between.

Perhaps there is a lesson here for all of us, that oh so difficult skill of introspection, and be more careful about our assumptions and expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back