Status
Not open for further replies.

Super D.

Supercharged
Ride
2005 Rocket 3 Standard Black, Flyscreen
I just got a new exhaust system put on the bike, and it is HOT! It is running between 650-730 F. at idle. Heat Shields would have to be fabricated, so wrapping the header is the only option.... I sure hate to cover all of that nice work. Any suggestions? I currently have the RamAir, and new header and exhaust system. I am running Hanso's tune "20228goodbase free flow ex Cat delete Ramair anti decel pop plus.hex".

I just got a new exhaust system put on the bike, and it is HOT! It is running between 650-730 F. at idle. Heat Shields would have to be fabricated, so wrapping the header is the only option.... I sure hate to cover all of that nice work. Any suggestions? I currently have the RamAir, and new header and exhaust system. I am running Hanso's tune "20228goodbase free flow ex Cat delete Ramair anti decel pop plus.hex".
WHAT exhaust do you have post pics

just a personal opinion that i might change after i see others opinion.
if u put more gas in the system to eliminate the decel popping then that might make for a hotter pipe?
maybe i should change to question instead of opinion:)

if u put more gas in the system to eliminate the decel popping then that might make for a hotter pipe?

More fuel to remove the decel popping would help cool the pipe, lean engines run hotter

Yes, in an internal combustion, reciprocating engine in an aircraft, one watches the EGT like a hawk. Leaning out the motor greatly increases range, and at some point, shortens life.

Charles Lindbergh made a second name for himself by extending the range of the P-38 Lightning during WWII for long range reconnaissance, mostly by leaning the motors beyond the manufacturer's recommendation. Of course, he didn't have to pay for the motors or the maintenance.

How do you read your EGT ? Just curious.

I remember with my Aprilia Scarabeo 500 and it's single cylinder motor, in the dark, one could see the header glow cherry red under some conditions.

From my experience on petrol engines if you lean out the fuel mixture the exhaust manifolds get hotter ,when I tried in vain to lean out the 460CI big block in my F100 it ran like a little 6 and the extractors glowed red hot back to the 860CFM Holley double pumper with manual secondaries 12 Mpg isn't bad unless you are doing big mileage :whitstling::whitstling:

i was going on
i let a mag (distributor) get retarded and the gas was not burning in the cylinder but in the pipes and the headers glowed red hot all the way to the tips which it had not done before. i know that a leaner burn in the engine makes the engine get hotter. it is nice to get other opinions.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

on the way home yesterday so after about 5 miles i stopped and run a temp check at the top of the pipe (not on the heat shield) and it varied from 350 to 450. i think the changing was due to the oxygen sensor/ecu making air/fuel changes.
now it was only a little over 100 degrees out so i don't think that it had any berrying on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back