Engine Changeover

bopa54

3rd Time Lucky
Ride
85 GS1100G, 08 R1200RT, 07/15R3 Hybrid
After two bad R3 owner experiences, I still have the carcass of my 2007 R3.
I have just purchased a 2015 Rocket3X motor, with 12,700 Kms on it.

My question is will it fit straight into my existing 2007 frame, is there any difference in power, what was the significance of the R3X as I have been told only 500 were made.
I look forward to your reply's, also to a longer relationship with an R3.

Bopa54

Hi Bopa, only difference I know is the gear position sensor - you will need to use the old one. What’s wrong with your old engine? Can you tell me how much you paid for the newer engine please?

The X (all roadsters actually) use a heavier duty drive shaft. Not sure if the spline on the engine is the same or not.

Warp is of a different opinion as the Outside Diameter and the number of teeth on the spline grow with the gain of the extra material. The internal female spline loses material weakening the same area. But if you say pick a year, let's choose a 2015 roadster since it is the new year engine he is installing, and say a 2015 Rocket Touring you will find the drive shaft part numbers (per Hermy's) are identical. I suspect Triumph finally realized they can consolidate part numbers, storage, order placement and tracking by using the same shaft. And if it originally was there to not mix up rear differentials between the touring and the rest well that was just stupid. It also is cheaper to have limited parts in some cases. Just thinking out loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will be chasing my tail as soon as the motor arrives, the nightmare of motor out and motor in begins again.
The snails pace of Aussie bank transfer's & freighting systems is a pain in the butt, the guy in Sth OZ was real helpful he was surprised the bike was written off.

Yesterday, Two trusted and talented mates with more knowledge than I will ever have began the swap with me.
At the end of the day the Motor is in the frame, after the usual nightmare of frame wiggling & finger pinching issues, followed by creative cursing.
The spline on the output shaft (2015 motor) previously thought to be a concern, was exactly the same as the 2007 motor so drive shaft was an easy fit.
The oil tank was a massive issue. oil feed lines were different diameter. Larger on the newer engine, have to get a couple sleeves machined up to fit 2007 oil tank or buy a later model tank. Not sure if the internal pick up / returns are different at this stage.
Wiring is also going to be an issue as we have plugs & connectors to try and marry up correctly, which I don't think will be a quick job.
Will be a while before it is running, but it is closer than before.

Yesterday, Two trusted and talented mates with more knowledge than I will ever have began the swap with me.
At the end of the day the Motor is in the frame, after the usual nightmare of frame wiggling & finger pinching issues, followed by creative cursing.
The spline on the output shaft (2015 motor) previously thought to be a concern, was exactly the same as the 2007 motor so drive shaft was an easy fit.
The oil tank was a massive issue. oil feed lines were different diameter. Larger on the newer engine, have to get a couple sleeves machined up to fit 2007 oil tank or buy a later model tank. Not sure if the internal pick up / returns are different at this stage.
Wiring is also going to be an issue as we have plugs & connectors to try and marry up correctly, which I don't think will be a quick job.
Will be a while before it is running, but it is closer than before.
Can you not just use the GPS and other electrical components from your old motor?

Back