Engine Changeover

Can you not just use the GPS and other electrical components from your old motor?
Na Mitzy, the GPS issue has been encountered by others conducting an engine swap. We will try to sort it out between us, but if anyone has solved the issue please share.

I still have the 07 motor so will conduct the swap onto the new motor, remembering to be careful of the spring & plunger.
Will keep you posted.
Many thanks Manic

Yesterday, Two trusted and talented mates with more knowledge than I will ever have began the swap with me.
At the end of the day the Motor is in the frame, after the usual nightmare of frame wiggling & finger pinching issues, followed by creative cursing.
The spline on the output shaft (2015 motor) previously thought to be a concern, was exactly the same as the 2007 motor so drive shaft was an easy fit.
The oil tank was a massive issue. oil feed lines were different diameter. Larger on the newer engine, have to get a couple sleeves machined up to fit 2007 oil tank or buy a later model tank. Not sure if the internal pick up / returns are different at this stage.
Wiring is also going to be an issue as we have plugs & connectors to try and marry up correctly, which I don't think will be a quick job.
Will be a while before it is running, but it is closer than before.

Here is another work around from my engine swap thread...

I found that the front oil port adapter on the 16 block was much bigger than the 05. OH SH!T. Sooooooo...I had some options. I removed the adapter from the 05 engine and from the 16. The 05 adapter fit right inside the 16. To solve the issue, I cut the flange off of the 05 adapter and tigged it inside the 16 adapter. Put it all back together and NO LEAKS.

I found that the front oil port adapter on the 16 block was much bigger than the 05. OH SH!T. Sooooooo...I had some options. I removed the adapter from the 05 engine and from the 16. The 05 adapter fit right inside the 16. To solve the issue, I cut the flange off of the 05 adapter and tigged it inside the 16 adapter. Put it all back together and NO LEAKS.

If his is a black 07 motor then it already has the larger ports.

It was a Black 07 motor swapped for a 15 rocket X motor. the oil 15 port was different and a sleeve has been turned up to fit the supply from the 07 tank hope that explains it. As usual we here in OZ probably got the dregs of change over bikes.

I feel your pain. When I was building up my basket case 05, the wiring harness was a small nightmare. So many plugs and sockets, wire colors, lock pins, clips, on and on. It's the "LUCAS" ghost!
smoke.jpg

MOTOR1.jpg
This is how the new heart arrived, ready to go a 2015 Rocket X motor, well packaged and delivered on time.

Back