Engine Changeover

20180403_154906.jpg
The Broken heart removed and waiting for sentence

20180404_151442.jpg 20180404_151452.jpg 20180404_151734.jpg

Home from intensive care, no leaks everything working and fired up first stab of the button. Chief surgeons on the home brew and the pilot (me), took of for a 20 minute shake down, she pulls and sounds as only a Rocket can. I have cramp in my cheeks (face) from the ear 2 ear smile. After nearly 6 years my original baby is back on the road.

After all the mechanical trauma is completed, all involved want to know the answer to just one question.
Why did Triumph change the diameter of the oil tank feed/return line ? can anyone shed some light on the reasoning for the change.
Thanks to all for your replies to my posts, believe me when I say they helped.

What went wrong on the original engine ?

The output bearings on the torsional damper shaft both failed, the inner most bearing damaged the crankcases rendering them useless (according to Triumph).
This all happened at about 130-140 Kph, made for an interesting emergency stop.
The engine sump when removed, showed the shrapnel that had been collected in the inbuilt traps. Motor was fully dismantled and checked all other internals were ok.
I purchased an upgrade kit from the US (Nth County Yamaha) these kits were never available in OZ? I also picked up a couple of complete output shafts and housing from E-bay and began to try and repair the motor.
Several local guys and friends attempted repairs over the years, but were unable to get the gear meshing tolerance right. It always sounded like it had a S/charger attached.
Thus the engine changeover, this is a short version of several years of headache, phone calls, computer time searching for solutions and a sound replacement motor.

Tried to re-register/licence the R3 today, FAILED on 3 things
Front brake light switch not working (water had got in when washing bike)
No reflector on the rear of the bike, has to have one (apparently) separate from the tail light and not attached to the plate
JARDINES failed the noise test way to loud, 20 Db to loud @ 3000rpm.

Not bad really have already sorted out the issues they found, hope it is a quick run through next time.

No reflector on the rear of the bike, has to have one (apparently) separate from the tail light and not attached to the plate

Not bad really have already sorted out the issues they found, hope it is a quick run through next time.
You want to sell the old motor?

Haha Jardines failed noise test—- not like the catalytic converters has been femoved :whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling:

Back