ECU issues after TuneECU map file load for 2017 after TTS-Performance stage 1 supercharger install

late2ride

Rocket roadster playing as a tractor
Ride
2017 Rocket iii Roadster
Has anyone had problems like this after a similar effort?

My mechanic installed the TTS-Performance stage 1 supercharger kit in my 2017 Rocket III roadster. We used TuneECU to load a map file supplied by TTS-Performance into the bike. The bike initially would not start. The engine would not turn over at all when the ignition was on. After a few attempts did and seemed to run fine. We find however that it does not always turn over. My mechanic noticed the starter button relay grounds to the ECU and if he bypasses the ground it starts. He also noticed a similar situation with the fuel pump relay (grounds to ECU and sometimes doesn't work as though the ECU is not providing ground).

We are don't know if it's the ECU, the map file or something else all together. The ECU part number is 1290216 and we've seen other ECU's for rockets a bit older for sale. If we need to replace the ECU we're wondering if one for an older bike will work...

You could try loading a different map and seeing if you have the same issue. If the problem goes away you know something either went wrong during the upload or the TTS map is corrupted. If the problem persists then start investigating other areas.

we've seen other ECU's for rockets a bit older for sale. If we need to replace the ECU we're wondering if one for an older bike will work...

Older ECUs won't work in Roadsters since the wiring harness plugs (amongst other things) are different;

04-09 standards/classics/tourers (not touring) ECU - T1299302 these days

Roadsters (2010+) ECU - T1299300 these days
Link Removed

Doubtful it'd be the map but you could try the Tuneboy version of the TTS map if you have Tuneboy.

Older ECUs won't work in Roadsters since the wiring harness plugs (amongst other things) are different;

Link Removed

Doubtful it'd be the map but you could try the Tuneboy version of the TTS map if you have Tuneboy.

The dealer is sure it's as simple as a weak battery. I'm hoping we get lucky. If not I'm going to bring it in and have them try reloading the factory map. At least the thing should run and we can start scratching our heads as to what went wrong with the map load. I also emailed TTs-Performance and asked richard to resend me the map file. I'll run a checksum against it to verify all 1's and 0's are lined up the same.....

Link Removed

Unfortunately I don't have Tuneboy. Sounds like a 2016 ECU would work if it comes to that. I'm thinking it's unlikely the ECU failed at the same time we installed the equipment however.

I have some more info by way of my mechanic. He now has it so the bike will start as long as he waits appx 45 seconds after turning the ignition on before pressing the starter button. So we agree the ECU is OK but still unsure what we've done wrong.....

@late2ride, did you find the source of your problems?

What shop installed the supercharger for you, considering the change myself.

How are you liking it, much more lower end torque I would presume.

How much boost are you running?

thanks

Hoopla

Back