Dumb ass maintenance problem- sorted?

I have to ask what is the foreign object? might be able to get it out without pulling the tank. Which is not hard. But first I would drain the tank oil so its not in the way then we can see if its hung up on the baffle or pipe? the front left drain plug is just for the tank.
Its a small syringe Sandy was using to remove oil while I looked for my 60ml flanged syringe to do the job (overfull).

Here is the manual and other stuff.

Before removing the tank I would go with @warp9.9's suggestion and drain the oil from the tank and then try to get it out. A wire coat hanger with the end bent into a hook may help. A long pair of tweezers or a long medical clamp could also be useful. I am guessing that a magnet won't help much.

Also, are you absolutely sure that it fell into the tank and not between it and the engine?
Have tried tweezers when it could still be seen then a bent coat hanger. the tank syringe went to the right & out of sight & nothing would fish it out. I drained most of the oil with the large syringe.

Before removing the tank I would go with @warp9.9's suggestion and drain the oil from the tank and then try to get it out. A wire coat hanger with the end bent into a hook may help. A long pair of tweezers or a long medical clamp could also be useful. I am guessing that a magnet won't help much.

Also, are you absolutely sure that it fell into the tank and not between it and the engine?
Absolutely sure as it was being used to remove a little oil from the tank after I misjudged & slightly overfilled it. while I looked for the 60ml syringe I keep for such events the deed was done. Gotta love her.

Gday neighbour...I'm in South Guildford and have a hardcopy of the manual if you want to borrow it?
Thanks Mr Hunt. I'm in Roleystone. I'd love to borrow it & happy to leave cash or some other security. Is there a local owners group. I'd love to do some rides (when the offending object is removed)
Cheers
RoleyRocket (currently AKA *****head)

Its a small syringe Sandy was using to remove oil while I looked for my 60ml flanged syringe to do the job (overfull).

Ok, is it just the needle part or the whole syringe? Either way, it won't hurt anything as it can't pass through the inlet tube in the tank because of the curl of the pipe. The outlet from the scavenger pumps is above the baffle plate. I think you're safe to fill it and ride. It will show up some day perhaps when you're doing maintenance. If you decide to go for it and pull the tank, it's easy. I just loosen the throttle bodies and hang them from the bar to save time. I leave the fuel rail and line hooked to the throttle bodies the tank has a one way check valve so you will only lose the fuel in the line. I just lay a big towel on top of the head area when pulling the line.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cheers idk & Absolutely. Thanks for the link to the service manual!

Ok so is it just the needle part or the whole syringe? Eitherway it won't hurt anything it cant pass thru the inlet tube in the tank because of the curl the outlet from the scavenger pumps is above the baffel plate. I think your safe fill it and ride it will show up dome day perhaps when your doing maintenance. If you decide to go for it and pull the tank its easy. I just loosen the trhrottle bodies up and hang them from the bar it save time. I leave the fuel rail and line hooked to the throttle bodies the tank has a one way check valve so you will only loose the fuel in the line. I just lay a nig towel on top of the head area when pulling the line.

Thanks warp9.9
No needle just a 5ml syringe. I'll try the job myself & if no good I'll just leave it. I was concerned the diameter might be small enough to block something but couldn't find a diagram to check.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have a shop vacuum, get a 1/2x18 inch thin wall flexible plastic hose (available at any hardware store) and tape/seal it to the end of the shop vac hose. Drain the oil from the tank by removing the plug in the sump. Suck the offending part by moving the 1/2 inch hose around the bottom of the tank. Use a clean container to catch the drained oil so you can pour it back in the tank and ride on.

Back