Major Maintenance Coming Up

sonny

Living Legend
Ride
rocket three x
I have a valve clearance check coming up and know already will have to replace a few shims. I remove the cams to do this just because. Will post in detail along with valve cover gasket replacement and installation. Front forks need a oil change along with all seals will be replaced. Then we have the clutch cover being removed with rod and cam tensioners replaced. Then head stock bearings being greased and adjusted. Gas filter needs replacement. Front wheel bearing replacement. Will list in detail all parts required for each job and then a detailed well planned outlay of how to accomplish respected jobs. Some may find it boring other may not. After five years of riding the Rocket and 67,000 miles later have learned a lot from some of the experts on here. I figure if my teachers like my post then I accomplished something. Not really into taking my bike to a shop and expecting 200 plus horse more interested in keeping the thing running good. That will be the tone. Front porch mechanic.

Good times ahead for you. The only advice I have is to be very careful when re-torquing the nuts on the gas filter plate. I was well under the 4nm (?, I believe that is right, it has been a while.) spec when I snapped a couple of the studs off. After that I just used my calibrated elbow and snugged them down. All has been good since then. BTW, NAPA has a replacement filter that works just fine, it has been mentioned a few times here.

bob

Yes I agree. I am good with every two years on any bike. Mileage is not the downfall but the wear and tear of cooling and heating can be. When the oil becomes dirty it will show on the shiny part time to change. You know what I am talking about Kojack1970. Mine needs changing plus I figure time for a overhaul after 70,000 miles.

Hey @sonny did you post the walkthroughs you mentioned in the first post?
I'm looking to do fork seals/oil and the dealership quoted me $500 plus materials.

I have a valve clearance check coming up and know already will have to replace a few shims. I remove the cams to do this just because. Will post in detail along with valve cover gasket replacement and installation. Front forks need a oil change along with all seals will be replaced. Then we have the clutch cover being removed with rod and cam tensioners replaced. Then head stock bearings being greased and adjusted. Gas filter needs replacement. Front wheel bearing replacement. Will list in detail all parts required for each job and then a detailed well planned outlay of how to accomplish respected jobs. Some may find it boring other may not. After five years of riding the Rocket and 67,000 miles later have learned a lot from some of the experts on here. I figure if my teachers like my post then I accomplished something. Not really into taking my bike to a shop and expecting 200 plus horse more interested in keeping the thing running good. That will be the tone. Front porch mechanic.
This post was made two months before the transmission went down. All work will be posted on post Rebirth Of 74.

Back