DO NOT buy a 2020 R3...

The Whole ECU locking thing is still (imo) a bit of a grey zone. I mean it's not LEGALLY but technically there are still some hidden bits and bobs.

CLOSED LOOP AFR is a reality. How it is implemented may also be different. My little KTM is only Euro4 but runs pretty much as a Euro5 would. FULL CLOSED LOOP. But annoyingly still narrow band.

The KTM by design runs VERY LEAN and the O2 circuit keeps it enriched. It has a Bosch ECU - other mfrs may implement differently.

With the Bosch ECU - A PCV can be fitted but it will cause errors if the OEM O2 sensors are replaced, removed, bridged (dongle) with anything different. This is due to HOW the AFR sensors work. It is not a simple resistance method as per 2300-R3's. The signals are pulses from the ECU and the round trip is timed not merely measured. So you have to leave the O2 sensors in. Even changing the wire length will affect the results. Any fuel remapping via the PCV will be overridden by the stock ECU.

There are some "super dooper" dongles in R&D that operate differently between the O2 sensor and ECU - but so far none seems to work well with Bosch ECU's. They may however work with others. This I do not know. The only succes I have seen with a PCV on Euro5 is with an IGNITION version and just playing with timing. AFR stays stock.

There is room in the legal side for minor re-flashing - BUT always referent on base ECU flash. So if a new base map has to be loaded (because there are upgrades) then any second level flash is destroyed. So for example if you had an OEM reflash for TRIUMPH TORS (assuming they appear) then if Triumph upgraded the base I assume they will upgrade the reflash. And aftermarket tuner flash - you have to go back to the tuner.

I would NOT buy a 2500-R3 assuming that TuneECU will ever work. I would not assume there will be a PCV. There are tools for reflashing about - But they are all EXPENSIVE. I mean 4-5 thousand Euros expensive.

There will always be options for TRACK bikes - Ask @Claviger - and I am sure that for HIGH VOLUME SALES models some solutions will appear.

Last edited:
The Whole ECU locking thing is still (imo) a bit of a grey zone. I mean it's not LEGALLY but technically there are still some hidden bits and bobs.

CLOSED LOOP AFR is a reality. How it is implemented may also be different. My little KTM is only Euro4 but runs pretty much as a Euro5 would. FULL CLOSED LOOP. But annoyingly still narrow band.

The KTM by design runs VERY LEAN and the O2 circuit keeps it enriched. It has a Bosch ECU - other mfrs may implement differently.

With the Bosch ECU - A PCV can be fitted but it will cause errors if the OEM O2 sensors are replaced, removed, bridged (dongle) with anything different. This is due to HOW the AFR sensors work. It is not a simple resistance method as per 2300-R3's. The signals are pulses from the ECU and the round trip is timed not merely measured. So you have to leave the O2 sensors in. Even changing the wire length will affect the results. Any fuel remapping via the PCV will be overridden by the stock ECU.

There are some "super dooper" dongles in R&D that operate differently between the O2 sensor and ECU - but so far none seems to work well with Bosch ECU's. They may however work with others. This I do not know. The only succes I have seen with a PCV on Euro5 is with an IGNITION version and just playing with timing. AFR stays stock.

There is room in the legal side for minor re-flashing - BUT always referent on base ECU flash. So if a new base map has to be loaded (because there are upgrades) then any second level flash is destroyed. So for example if you had an OEM reflash for TRIUMPH TORS (assuming they appear) then if Triumph upgraded the base I assume they will upgrade the reflash. And aftermarket tuner flash - you have to go back to the tuner.

I would NOT buy a 2500-R3 assuming that TuneECU will ever work. I would not assume there will be a PCV. There are tools for reflashing about - But they are all EXPENSIVE. I mean 4-5 thousand Euros expensive.

There will always be options for TRACK bikes - Ask @Claviger - and I am sure that for HIGH VOLUME SALES models some solutions will appear.
I hit the the like button because the post is informative but I don’t like to hear all that.:thumbsdown:

.....well my pocket is a bit lighter now....signed up this afty...got to wait till mid march by the looks of things b4 it arrives..feeling a wee bit out of sorts if that makes sense...sort of sad but happy too...o_O:D:thumbsup::)
I completely understand all that.:laugh:

came in two months early, Lucky me, and now winter has decided to get here, but I got a ride in at least, my face hurts again, darn smiling

20200115_160055.jpg
20200115_160133.jpg

How many more 'sleeps' before the new love of your life moves in?
haha...nicely put!!...speaking to the dealer yesterday and there is a GT coming next week or the week after which is sold, i can put my butt on it for a 'how do i fit' feel.
My bike will be maybe mid march however. There is a black 'R' model on the floor but i prefer the silver GT.
As we know, its possible to buy an 'R' and fit the GT bars...GT flyscreen which is higher and thats all i would want...but its either black or its red..not me.

Back