Designing a new rear fender - winter project

Have you thought about selling those? That's what I need too.
I have in the past produced and sold parts that i've designed initially for my own bike, but those were complex 3d printed high value parts that couldn't be sourced anywhere else. I don't think it's going to be financially worthwhile for something like the extender.
I would need to charge more than many folks are prepared to pay for such a component just to break even.
If I had a moulding shop doing other parts in grp then it would be more likely that it could be done at a realistic price, but i'm not in that business. I'm a designer, not a manufacturer.
If there were hundreds of Rocketeers wanting one, then I could maybe get a local grp shop or vacuum-forming shop to make a production tool and have them make batches of them for me to sell on, but in reality I can't imagine there being enough demand to cover the initial set up cost.

......Finally got my home made top box back from the paint shop and i'm about to set off on the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride.

Resize of 20230521_090836a.jpg

I'm pleased with how everything has turned out......Enough of projects.....time to ride! :cool:

nice!

PS Next design where the top box "overhangs" the connector plate such that the top box sits flush with the rear ? :cool::cool:

Ok....well...I think the first 3D print looks very promising.
The part isn't quite fitting fully up into the tail unit just yet. I reckon the fender will go up a bit more when i've done a few tweaks. Maybe 3 to 4mm.
The tail light is fully visible despite the turn signal unit being positioned very high, so that's proven positive for one of my earlier concerns.

I recon that if the fender was painted in the metallic red, it would look maybe even better, but the satin black of the raw 3D print actually doesn't look as bad as I imagined before.

What do you think?

Resize of IMG_20230111_104947.jpg

Resize of IMG_20230111_105608.jpg

Resize of IMG_20230111_105440.jpg
Awesome work! Wish I knew how to do this on computer.
Might consider the direct blockage of the tail/brake lights by the license plate light and signal assembly?

Awesome work! Wish I knew how to do this on computer.
Might consider the direct blockage of the tail/brake lights by the license plate light and signal assembly?
Thanks!
Design & CAD modelling is my day job, but the CAD modelling is all self taught, so don't imagine that you couldn't learn to do it, if you would really wanted to do it.

Re: the obscuring of the stop tail light.
It was a concern early on in the project, so that's one reason why I made a smaller licence plate/turn signal housing. In reality however, I don't think the stock housing was obscuring anything in reality.....maybe would a bit if you were following behind in a formula 1 racing car due to very low eye level. Not with this latest geometry though.

Back