Designing a new rear fender - winter project

Jagster

Torque junkie
Ride
2020 Rocket 3R
Well.... it's probably about time to start sharing a little project i'm amusing myself with during the winter evenings.
I know there are other rear fender solutions available to buy, but I haven't seen what i'm wanting so I decided to make my own.
Come along for the ride if you are interested......Not sure how it will turn out or if I will like the end result, but nothing ventured, nothing gained, as they say....

Design preferences:
- Needs to work like fender should (not like the stock set-up!)
- Look good - Blend in visually with the rest of the bike.
- Ideally retain the stock lighting and licence plate holder etc...
- Still look sexy even though the main intention is to stop the road spray up my back.
- Reasonably easy to produce and be lightweight yet reasonably sturdy and up to the job.

I've already done the ground work and have a design in my CAD system which I templated around some basic 3D scanning I did of my bike.
At the moment i'm 3D printing a first mock-up, in order to evaluate fit to the bike and see how it looks.

Before I started my design I did a very rough mock-up by taking the front fender off the bike and using it to simulate a sort of rear fender. (see below)

Resize of IMG_20221231_163329.jpg

Last edited:
Just been into the workshop to see how the 3D print is progressing.
I'm having to print the proto fender in three parts due to it's size, but hopefully that won't create any problems at this stage of the process....

Resize of IMG_20230110_181326.jpg
cool, which 3d software do you use to create designs?

Ok....well...I think the first 3D print looks very promising.
The part isn't quite fitting fully up into the tail unit just yet. I reckon the fender will go up a bit more when i've done a few tweaks. Maybe 3 to 4mm.
The tail light is fully visible despite the turn signal unit being positioned very high, so that's proven positive for one of my earlier concerns.

I recon that if the fender was painted in the metallic red, it would look maybe even better, but the satin black of the raw 3D print actually doesn't look as bad as I imagined before.

What do you think?

Resize of IMG_20230111_104947.jpg

Resize of IMG_20230111_105608.jpg

Resize of IMG_20230111_105440.jpg

Cool project. It looks a lot like the Corbin fender kit.
corbin fender.jpg

True. It's a similar principle.
I wanted something a bit more 'pure' in shape. The Corbin unit is a bit fussy (if thats the right word).
It's also too short and there is no way of mounting a licence plate light which is mandatory in Europe.

Back