Designing a new rear fender - winter project

How hard would it be to fab a complete rear fender instead of trying to work with the original. How about something like this Photo shopped pic?
1680093786560.png

How hard would it be to fab a complete rear fender instead of trying to work with the original. How about something like this Photo shopped pic?
I guess it depends who's making it. Everything is possible if enough money and/or skill is thrown at it.

Nice photoshop design, by the way. :thumbsup:

Looks like it would offer a good styling solution if it was paired up with some custom saddlebags. I can see your design evolving into a full dresser.
.......Harley better watch out! :cool:

Well.......That took me longer than I had expected.
Printing with PVA (as a support material) isn't plain sailing. It's very tricky. This is due to the fact that it is very hydroscopic and behaves very differently in the the 3d printer fully dried out compared to when it's sitting in normal atmospheric humidity.......but i'm happy to say that I got there in the end.
A total of about 2 hours on the phone with tech support (many thanks to 3DGBIREUK), one printer teardown/rebuild and three aborted prints later, I have a set of parts. :)

Resize of IMG_20230410_083044.jpg

Resize of IMG_20230410_114655.jpg

Resize of IMG_20230410_115314.jpg

Resize of IMG_20230410_115332.jpg

These photos showing the parts direct from the printer with no post processing (i.e. no sanding or painting etc...). I have only removed the support material pulled off the parts.
I'm very pleased with them. They are strong and lightweight. (approx 50% weight saving)
Now to assemble everything for testing before finishing the surfaces.

Last edited:
1680093786560.png
I'm sure that the Triumph design department went through all sorts of iterations before deciding on their final form.
They obviously went with style over function, when it came to the rear fender.
I must say that, apart from being Diavelesque, they produced something that stands out from the everyday bikes and I like it.
Your talent with photoshop shows, although a nice result, how much she begins to look like all the others on offer, once you go with a functional rear fender.
Personally ,I think that the crappy little soft paniers, that Triumph offer as "Factory" luggage, look like a hurried afterthought. A factory optioned "Bagger" would increase Triumphs market share, imo, as I am sure that there are perspective customers that have passed on the Rocket due to lack of luggage space.

Back