Decel Popping Posts

There is barometric pressure compensation for altitude. The sensor is under the right side panel behind the engine. Therefore any tune is adjusted for altitude.

The engine air temperature sensor is really important. Its position in the intake system affects the temperature it reads. Put it as close as practical to the TB's. Laying it on top of the engine or strapping it to the frame rails may work if you have the O2 sensor functioning as then the ECU compensates but otherwise it belongs in the air stream.

The factory tunes are engine safe so rich by design hence the ECU almost always adjusts A/F leaner.

Much variability in how some of our bikes run is that some of the tunes have the L-tables functioning and others don't. If the F to L switch is set at 0, then the O2 sensor is non-functioning and can't compensate. So with identical maps on the same bike, if the F to L switch is set differently, the bike can run very differently.

The factory tunes are engine safe so rich by design hence the ECU almost always adjusts A/F leaner.
Mine has always been rich - in full blown 100% OEM spec - cat included. So I have always wondered when folk say they run lean.

But yet - they are supposedly really tightened down on emissions. The tiniest enrichening and mine blows Euro3 out of the water - instant fail. Once I get this MAP advanced tune stable - I want to see where I can get to - but small steps. 0.1AFR - log, analyse. I wish I had more time to spend on the engine. I also have that MAP plenum finished and ready to test.

There is barometric pressure compensation for altitude. The sensor is under the right side panel behind the engine. Therefore any tune is adjusted for altitude.
Well yes - Unless you attach a PCV or Dobeck self adjusting piggyback etc. And then the buggers start competing - Or am I really off base?.

Its absurd how many there are.

Unfiltered bottom line up front:

Your bikes is popping excessively because you need to get it tuned, on a dyno, by a pro.

SOME popping is normal.

Why people think they can just throw parts on a bike that doesn’t adjust fueling above 31% throttle at all and think it’ll all be kosher I don’t understand.

The stock triumph maps are lean as hell and adding better flowing anything WILL result in a dangerously lean bike, it might ride ok, it might get great mileage, but it’s NOT healthy.

Stop trying to guess and fart around adding fuel here, adding fuel there, you’re just pissing into the wind.

You spent 5-25K on the bike, 500-2000 on the exhaust, and your quibbling about 300ish for a tune.... reprioritize before being cheap costs you a piston!
Agree but very happy with your tune(2014-2018 Roadster) It runs great. Bike is running a lot cooler and gas mileage has increased by about 15%. Power wise is about the same as Hanso's tune so not much difference there. Popping has dramatically decreased. Now i get a little popping around 2,000 RPM'S but nothing bad. A lot of post on tunes and problems but if you read between the lines some of the problems may not be the tune. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Another for the data hungry.

Air Pressure and Altitude

IF I take a map created at 1037hPA - Sea level standardised atmospheric pressure. Then I can expect differences.

I am getting average readings in the 928hPa here - that is 10% less ambient air pressure - i.e my lump has to suck harder.
And also a NON adaptive map would run RICH - something My R3 has always done from new.
I wonder why the A/T is trimming down 10% so much :unsure::whitstling:

Altitud importance.png

Oddly ;) That happens to be almost spot on the altitude I live at.

928 hPA is a serious Low*, is that atmospheric air pressure or a bike reading?

Despite being at 2100 feet here current pressure is 1029 mbar. Much closer to the 1037hPA - Sea level standardised atmospheric pressure figure.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atmospheric_pressure_records_in_Europe
Spain[edit]

Last edited:
928 hPA is a serious Low*, is that air pressure or a bike reading?

Despite being at 2100 feet here current pressure is 1029 mbar. Much closer to the 1037hPA - Sea level standardised atmospheric pressure figure.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atmospheric_pressure_records_in_Europe
Spain[edit]
928 is absolute and non-adjusted for 750ish metres. The Bikes Barometric sensor and my company Cellphone Barometer (designed for climbers) coincide. And as the phone has GPS and Glasnoss the altitude is within about 2m.

Santander is at sea level - it is a port. 950 would be LOW.
Benavente is 800m up.1050 would be VERY high.

But it is plain simple physics. Altitude.org | Altitude air pressure calculator

At 750m (barbagris-land), the standard barometric pressure is 93 kPa (698 mmHg). This means that there is 92% of the oxygen available at sea level.
At 1275m (I cross this to get to work), the standard barometric pressure is 88 kPa (658 mmHg). This means that there is 87% of the oxygen available at sea level.
At 2000m (Joburg), the standard barometric pressure is 81 kPa (604 mmHg). This means that there is 80% of the oxygen available at sea level.

At -483m (Dead Sea), the standard barometric pressure is 107 kPa (801 mmHg). This means that there is 105% of the oxygen available at sea level.
At 5000m (Atacama), the standard barometric pressure is 56 kPa (420 mmHg). This means that there is 55% of the oxygen available at sea level. And engines do stop working - so do brains.
At 8000m (Everest-ish), the standard barometric pressure is 38 kPa (284 mmHg). This means that there is 37% of the oxygen available at sea level.

At 2100ft, the standard barometric pressure is 94 kPa (707 mmHg). This means that there is 93% of the oxygen available at sea level. or at Sea level it is 1100.

Now either OZ gets massive air pressure - OR like MANY weather places they give you an ALTITUDE ADJUSTED pressure. Where I work we have a weather station - I know the stats there are adjusted.

TuneECU will show you what the BIKE is working with. Absolute barometic and absolute manifold. Matters not what your weatherman says. PCV if you have it and use MAP and use Rob's process will have you using the same numbers there. It'S all about percentages.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::whitstling::notworthy::notworthy:

Now either OZ gets massive air pressure - OR like MANY weather places they give you an ALTITUDE ADJUSTED pressure. Where I work we have a weather station - I know the stats there are adjusted.

IF you have a POD300, PC-V and AT and can send me logs of RPM, TPS, AFR, and MAP along with both the PC-V file and TuneECU file I can fix it for you, but anything anyone else offers as a fix.... is a SWAG.
Very considerate guy you are, i learned personally when you sent me information a while ago in reference to tune-ecu; You are the man "Be Safe!

Back