Decel Popping Posts

I hear ya. @1olbull says there is a dealership in San Antonio, Tx that does dyno's with TuneEcu!!!! I plan on getting to them when I can - If that doesn't work out for me, I may try the PCV+A/T since now I know there is some available help with that.
@Claviger - Can you work that for an 05 or are your tunes just for later year model ECU's?

Can be done for all years, the atickler is you need a pod-300 for datalogging.

Maybe I start loaning mine with a deposit?

Ideas Ideas

Its absurd how many there are.

Unfiltered bottom line up front:

Your bikes is popping excessively because you need to get it tuned, on a dyno, by a pro.

SOME popping is normal.

Why people think they can just throw parts on a bike that doesn’t adjust fueling above 31% throttle at all and think it’ll all be kosher I don’t understand.

The stock triumph maps are lean as hell and adding better flowing anything WILL result in a dangerously lean bike, it might ride ok, it might get great mileage, but it’s NOT healthy.

Stop trying to guess and fart around adding fuel here, adding fuel there, you’re just pissing into the wind.

You spent 5-25K on the bike, 500-2000 on the exhaust, and your quibbling about 300ish for a tune.... reprioritize before being cheap costs you a piston!
+1 on that! :thumbsup:

Oh my - Oh my.

Taller de motos. Banco de potencia frenado | Motos Hombrados - I shall have to ride over and see this lot. They have a BRAKED DYNO. Looks like a sportsdirect bank.

Seems they may well work directly against Triumph ECU's - and they seem very undersell. Which is (honestly) rather telling. This does NOT mean I'll let them loose.
But just renting the beast for an hour to get reliable data would be worth it. Bad bloody time of year though. Spain shuts in summer. But if they're open - they'll have time on their hands.

@Claviger - prepare for data overload if I can get them to play along.

Do they allow you to buy it back in Virginia?

They do, but then I have to fix it myself...which will still cost $7000 odd in parts after I buy it back.....which I do not have handy and will not borrow. If they do fix it I will ride happy, if they don't I will take the dough and pay it off. Those are my only options at present. I am not bereft of wheels to ride so it's easy to be breezy with this. Given the circumstances of the wreck I and my nephew were lucky to escape largely unmolested and unchanged in our determination to ride ride and ride. Sometimes the Lord will take some stuff off your plate when He sees you might have it a iittle too full.

When I got my Rocket there was plenty of decel popping but I liked it.

Was running after market Thunderpipes and stock air in take. Got a set of Ramair intake a tune from sleeves and popping reduce.

Had a bit of trouble with idling so got new fuel filter and another tune loaded in the shop.

Turned out it was dirty spade terminals cleaned and die-electrical grease fixed it.

But no decel pop now.

For those without PCV A/T and POD(C3) - This is the sort of thing you can see.
This was an UNTYPICAL bit of blasting just to see. I had done about 120kms on a clean map before logging.
But I started to run into traffic and could see the Traffic Camera Chopper far away - so decided to cut my losses.

Run4-1.png
Run4-2.png
Run4-3.png

Easy innit!.

Another for the data hungry.

Air Pressure and Altitude

IF I take a map created at 1037hPA - Sea level standardised atmospheric pressure. Then I can expect differences.

I am getting average readings in the 928hPa here - that is 10% less ambient air pressure - i.e my lump has to suck harder.
And also a NON adaptive map would run RICH - something My R3 has always done from new.
I wonder why the A/T is trimming down 10% so much :unsure::whitstling:

Altitud importance.png

Oddly ;) That happens to be almost spot on the altitude I live at.

I have taken a slightly different approach to data logging and are using a LM-2 LM-2 Wideband O2 Digital Air/fuel Ratio Meter
The idea of changing parts, changing tunes, generally just mucking about in the ECU without any data to see what is happening is just scary.
The first thing I did was to start with a baseline, before changing any parts install the LM-2 and record TP, AFR, RPM, MAP, etc.. The LM-2 plugs right into the ECU OBD-II.

Unfortunately I took advantage of the fact that the stock narrow band O2 sensor can be turned off in Tune-ECU, did so then made a spacer to install the wide band O2 sensor in the same location.
As the bike is new and being broken in only did idle, cruise and short partial throttle bursts. What surprised me was just how rich the bike ran with low throttle cruise in the 12-13 AFR and richer on acceleration.

Back in the shop welded in another O2 bung, installed the wide band there, reinstalled the narrowband in it's original location and turned the ECU narrow band back on.
Now steady state cruise is in the mid 14's AFR as would be expected and acceleration in the 11-12 AFR.

To me tuning is like welding, part science and part art. The tuner needs not to just have the right equipment but also the talent and experience to do the job well. Which is why they are few and far between.

Rick

Back