A Word About Off-Topic Posts

webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
As most of you know, R3Owners.Net represents a sort of partnership. Tomo and Team get to run a forum the way they want, and I get a production environment to test new technologies in (after they have been tested privately). To give you an example, it was this site that helped me plan the software platform for the TriumphRat.Net Conversion in late 2006.

Although I have since sold TriumphRat.Net, there are still efforts underway to test new technologies here for a new site I'm developing. Structurally it is done but there is still a lot of work to do on the graphics. It is another motorcycle forum/portal that will be much larger than Rat.Net.

One of the technologies that I'm testing here is a particular configuration regarding content organization and optimization. Visually, you see little difference, but in the background I've got a variety of things happening.

When it comes to off-topic posts, the issue is that it is drawing some interesting ads to this site. When someone posted something about a charity for cancer, we started seeing some related ads being displayed regarding cancer research. That isn't much of an issue, until a thread starts about something really off-topic (such as what is going on in San Fransisco) you may see something offensive as a result. I had to login and make an emergency change to block something that made me gag :eek:

There are ways that I can modify my configuration, but the intent is to see what the effects are and how small config changes affect results.

I'm not saying that off-topic posts aren't encouraged, or are going to be heavily moderated, just to let you guys know what I'm doing so that you won't be shocked by what you see :p

For those that aren't understanding. R3Owners.Net is supported by an above-average infrastructure and operated by an individual with years of experience in successful site management. From time to time I test things here that are later used on sites with larger audiences. Since this site has a direct Dot-Com Competitor, it affords me an additional opportunity to try related strategies that have provided dramatic results on some of my other sites. In return, I ensure that you are provided an above-average experience and are well-supported. As long as you enjoy coming here, this site will stay.

So until you get the ad filters tweaked some more, when I say this picture of Flip riding passenger is "not heterosexual" I should spell it ghey so the oiled up man won't appear in the side bar ads anymore?

BTW Shawn, thanks for giving us this playground.

B:

Don't pee off Shawn. Shawn has been more than helpful to me. I wish I had 1/100th the computer savvy he has. Because I knew that he was using this site as a 'test horse' so to speak, I've never been taken back at all by what I see when I log on. I've had some very interesting conversations on the phone with Shawn but he always has to distill down into simple terms what he's doing so that I understand it. It's like you and the 'tunes' for the bike. I still don't have the foggiest idea how you manipulate them but they work so I guess that's all that matters.

I haven't seen any offensive ads popping up other than the 'Flipmeisters' in the upper right hand corner.:D

I'm kinda wondering if we might have an appearance by Shawn at Eureka Springs. I know he frequents the area on business so I'm hoping.

Last edited:
Back