De-tuned touring

I imagine the dyno's are not as accurate as we think they are. I'm sure there is a tolerance on each of them. Of course, before and after deltas are usually trustable.

I was fortunate enough to have all of my dyno runs done on the same machine by the same tech. I was curious about your K&N because I got nearly 11hp with a Ram Air and your numbers with the D&Ds and K&N was about what mine was before the Ramair install. That would almost lead me to believe other than being reusable (I Believe) the K&N underseat does not do much for power on the Touring. Your Thoughts?

bob

Probably not, the airbox and ducting are the restrictions, I think. I have external K&N pods on mine. I gained 150 hp. Well, a couple other mods, too. 😉

Well, after the HP increase from the TORS. Ramair and PB Crossover if I want anymore I will be talking some real money per 1 HP gain. It's a insidious trap, the more you get, the more you want. Reminds me of something else I found when I was about 15, I am still chasing that and it has cost me a fortune over the years!!!! :oops: 😄

Last edited:

Nel's Dyno is what some would call stingy and others would call honest, I have dynoed my bike there 1 day and gone to a different, nearby shop that says theirs is calibrated and seen a 4% gain on the graph.

Same model Dynonet, both allegedly calibrated correctly, both on the same software.

Compared gains only on the same dyno.
Compared curve shapes between dynos.

I was fortunate enough to have all of my dyno runs done on the same machine by the same tech. I was curious about your K&N because I got nearly 11hp with a Ram Air and your numbers with the D&Ds and K&N was about what mine was before the Ramair install. That would almost lead me to believe other than being reusable (I Believe) the K&N underseat does not do much for power on the Touring. Your Thoughts?

bob
Yes, I had the K&N installed at the same time as the pipes. That said, I agree that a filter change is not going to produce a notable difference. I used the Richmond Motorsports dyno.

Nel's Dyno is what some would call stingy and others would call honest, I have dynoed my bike there 1 day and gone to a different, nearby shop that says theirs is calibrated and seen a 4% gain on the graph.

Same model Dynonet, both allegedly calibrated correctly, both on the same software.

Compared gains only on the same dyno.
Compared curve shapes between dynos.
I am not familiar with Nel's dyno shop because I had both of mine done by him in a trailer in Spokane. He used to come over once a year and set up at Empire. I don't know if he has just the one dyno or not. The tune is the one that was developed on my bike.

bob

I've re-tuned my Touring with all the little upgrades ,intake , exhaust tors and crossover from Aussie land . I'm around 134 hp & 151 ft lbs of torq . But with the price of gas skyrocketing I'm now wondering if I did a good thing ? I'm still averaging 110-120 km speed on highway just getting there faster . With these modes I'm burning about 20% more gas . But yes I am having lots for fun . Not a rant just facts learned .

Back