De-tuned touring

Grey0wl

.020 Over
Ride
04 rocket std
Sorry if it's already been asked people, what was the nature of the detune on the touring model compared to the standered RIII? Just recently let go of my 05 model and was thinking of the 10 touring model and seen its over 40hp less?
was it just a different map? Can the power drop between models be replaced with a simple map upgrade?

The touring has more torque than the R3R brother, it is not detuned, it is retuned for a different purpose; touring and two-up riding. The cam is different but the same map can be loaded on the R3T. Or, add a new intake and exhaust and get even more torque out of it.

Sorry if it's already been asked people, what was the nature of the detune on the touring model compared to the standered RIII? Just recently let go of my 05 model and was thinking of the 10 touring model and seen its over 40hp less?
was it just a different map? Can the power drop between models be replaced with a simple map upgrade?
I updated the tune on my '14 R3T when I put on my D&D slip-ons and was able to restore the "retuned beast" to her full glory... I'm pretty confident the tune can be used with stock pipes.
-MIG

Check out previous posts. You will find dyno charts. In a nutshell, they factory limited the secondary throttle plates to 40% open on the touring. Smoothness and gas mileage at the expense of performance. With just a tune, on my 2013 R3T I went from 88 to 120 HP at the back wheel and an insane 151 ftlbs of torque. The D&D slip-ons only gained me another 8 HP and made the bike loud. I probably would not have put on the D&D pipes with hindsight. Yes, same engine.....Oh, and I did put in a higher flow K&N filter when I put on the pipes.

Last edited:
multiple messages are pushed. Dino graphics are on display. In short, they limited the secondary throttle opening to 40% in touring. Ride and gas mileage at the expense of performance. With just a tune on my 2013 R3T, I increased the power from 88 to 120 hp. on the rear wheel and an insane 151 lbf-ft of torque. D&D slip-ons gave me another 8 hp. and made the bike loud. Looking back, I probably wouldn't have put on D&D pipes. Yes, same engine..... Oh, and I put in a higher flow K&N filter when I installed the pipes.
Hello. Could you share what tune you used.
Thank you.

Check out previous posts. You will find dyno charts. In a nutshell, they factory limited the secondary throttle plates to 40% open on the touring. Smoothness and gas mileage at the expense of performance. With just a tune, on my 2013 R3T I went from 88 to 120 HP at the back wheel and an insane 151 ftlbs of torque. The D&D slip-ons only gained me another 8 HP and made the bike loud. I probably would not have put on the D&D pipes with hindsight. Yes, same engine.....Oh, and I did put in a higher flow K&N filter when I put on the pipes.

Those are interesting numbers. On my 13 Touring with TORS and dyno tuning (similiar to D&D I would guess) I ended up with 121hp and 145 Tq. When I added the Ramair and put back on the dyno I ended up with 132hp and 148Tq. The Ramair gave me 11hp. did you do an underseat K&N?

bob

Back