Brake Pads - 2007/8 'Touring edition'

kazjim

.020 Over
Ride
'07 Riii Touring
G'day again all, getting real close with my little Riii 'Touring (Some confusion about what year - compliance plate says 12/2007, other people call it a 2008 . . . whatever)

Needing brake pads next jsut to make sure they are good.

Pulled the current ones, part number on the back is NISSIN TT2172HH - which, when I look it up on eBay is for a KTM and looks quite different . .

When I search for Rocket III Brake pads, they look 'similar, but not 'the same'

Mine

IMG_6854.jpeg

The eBay ones..

1692246467298.png

You can see mine have a curved lower section, eBay ones are square.

Will this profile work?

Getting down to the last few parts now . . . . .

The rear on a touring ( any year without abs) will lock up rear, ive used stock from Triumph that were brembo and stock from Triumph that were nissin, and they really work good, too good, i now use cheap organic pads on the rear as they dont bite so hard locking the rear, well atleast not yet, they have not done anything unusual to the rotor.

Last edited:
The rear on a touring ( any year without abs) will lock up rear, ive used stock from Triumph that were brembo and stock from Triumph that were nissin, and they really work good, too good, i now use cheap organic pads on the rear as they dont bite so hard locking the rear, well atleast not yet, they have not done anything unusual to the rotor.
That is good to know since I often have to hit the brakes hard for all the **** ninnies driving cages where I am. Thanks!!

EBC sintered brakes, friction coefficient "HH".
The GOLD STANDARD.
You need REAL BRAKES on this giant gorilla bike.
Skimp on other stuff, but never brakes & tires.

This vendor gives GREAT service.

Your bike is originally equipped with "HH" brakes, putting anything less is foolish.

1694558959733.png

I am speaking for my 08 touring, non abs, again touring model, I personally only buy the best everything and especially on the widowmaker, stock pads are nissen or brembo as i have bought many sets, on the front i run stock while I believe to be the best, nissen or brembo, I personally run dot 5 fluid not 4 as ive boiled it and had no brakes before after hooning in the mountains, but stock pads on the rear ofthe Touring model, has locked up several times trying to throw me off after going sideways 2 times same episode @Steel was following. Anyway if you have a non abs Touring be careful with stock pads on the REAR, i do not speak to roadsters or classic with a much heavier rear tire and rim. My personal experience only with the Touring non abs model.

Why I like EBC HHs. DOT 4, never boiled, blued the rotor running away from a Daytona 675 coming off Mt St Helens, about 30 miles of on the limit riding down a mountain.

There's a weight difference involved so, it may not be the pads, it may be the weight difference (Mufasa and I were 900lb combined, less than many touring without rider).

All I know is with EBC fronts I've never had anything besides exemplary front brakes which grow more powerful when hot, not less, like ceramic based pads (which do have a nicer/smoother engagement but are only suitable for slow riding IMHO).

Attachments

• 20230912_170753.jpg
    20230912_170753.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I couldn't believe it, a few years back someone wanted to increase the rear braking on a Touring, I forget what they did, but I was shaking my head. With the 180 rear, even when I had I think a 205 on the back, Tourings will lock up the rear at the drop of a hat. I've always run EBC HH myself, and learned to go real lightly on the rear pedal

I couldn't believe it, a few years back someone wanted to increase the rear braking on a Touring, I forget what they did, but I was shaking my head. With the 180 rear, even when I had I think a 205 on the back, Tourings will lock up the rear at the drop of a hat. I've always run EBC HH myself, and learned to go real lightly on the rear pedal
I think i was the one 🤨wanting to increase rear braking on my touring, until i knew what it does😳 didnt take long

Back