Darkside Size?????

I follow all the points, except the cornering. My car tires are wearing out prematurely on the edges because I corner too fast. I've had to increase the tire pressure to try and even out the wear. I would think cornering on a bike with a car tire would cause you to ride on the edges of the tire, causing it to wear out the edges. The rounded shape of the stock tires would seem to keep more tire in contact with the road. Someone mentioned something about traction on wet roads? I really dislike the squirrelly feel of that fat tire on wet roads and road paint.

What are the down sides, besides that apparently my Triumph dealer would not mount such a tire on my wheel?

I follow all the points, except the cornering. My car tires are wearing out prematurely on the edges because I corner too fast. I've had to increase the tire pressure to try and even out the wear. I would think cornering on a bike with a car tire would cause you to ride on the edges of the tire, causing it to wear out the edges. The rounded shape of the stock tires would seem to keep more tire in contact with the road. Someone mentioned something about traction on wet roads? I really dislike the squirrelly feel of that fat tire on wet roads and road paint.

What are the down sides, besides that apparently my Triumph dealer would not mount such a tire on my wheel?

Cars weigh 4X more than a Rocket and they lean the wrong way. My brother in law and I traded bikes a week ago so he could try the car tire and I could watch it corner. Rarely was there less than 50% of the tread on the pavement. The only time the tire came up on edge was back in town going slow. It appeared that when cornering aggressively the side wall flex puts more tire on the pavement. A good CT corners very well.

YouTube - Rocket Sport 03 Central Colorado - Triumph Rocket III

+1 on the contact patch, Lester. I followed a fellow Riken Raptor darksider, Captain J, on a ride recently on Skyline Dr. In a turn, for instance to the right, the left edge of the tire would rollup much like a tube of toothpaste from the left. A 35 mph turn taken at 45 mph left as much as 3/4 of the contact patch (about 5") on the pavement. The tread is not rigid across the bottom like your mind wants you to think that it is. The Metz would have no more than 3" of contact patch at any time. To lean the CT that far in which to only have 3" of contact patch would have other parts scraping hard.

btw, great vid. loved the cut down on the rear fender. looks nice.

Last edited:
Back