Crappy fuel mileage, or help a brotha out....

I have only put a few of hundred miles on my '05 RIII since I bought it but it has already become clear that this thing is a gas hog. My first mileage check was 24.5 mpg. :mad:

I rode conservatively to try to see what the bike would do when not pushed as far as gas milage goes. The speeds were around 55 to 60mph on secondary roads.

It had the CAT bypass, TOR pipes and a Power Commander (which I can't tell you anything else about except that it's "in there". I know it has also been screwed around with using a Tuneboy program. I think it was mentioned that it is "zero", whatever that means............ :confused:

Any suggestions on the sucko gas mileage?

24.5 mpg is way too low.

I bought my bike with the TOR's and cat bypass and a stock tune. I was getting maybe 34-35 mpg. After a I put a richer tune in it using Tuneboy, the mileage dropped to maybe 30-34, depending on the season.

Do you have the Tuneboy cable? If someone loaded a Tuneboy tune into your bike, the license is specific to your engine - it can't be used on another bike - so whoever you got the bike from should give you the cable. If someone paid the $400, you should be aboe to use the Tuneboy software to read the key code for your engine and just buy a new cable.

You also have a PCIII on the bike? You need to upload the trim map from that PCIII to a computer so you don't lose the information. All you need is a USB cable, a laptop, and the PCIII software you get for free on the DynoJet web site.

Then, disconnect the PCIII and reconnect the cable from the injectors back to the Triumph ECU, remove the PCIII O2 sensor bypass and reconnect the O2 sensor to the ECU.

Then, have your dealer load the proper tune for your exhaust.

If you have or can get the Tuneboy cable and a laptop, you have easier options for either loading the stock tune or a tune from Tuneboy made for your exhaust.

Do you have the Tuneboy cable? If someone loaded a Tuneboy tune into your bike, the license is specific to your engine - it can't be used on another bike - so whoever you got the bike from should give you the cable. If someone paid the $400, you should be aboe to use the Tuneboy software to read the key code for your engine and just buy a new cable.

Yes, I did get the Tuneboy cable with the bike, but I really don't know what I would do with it. It's to short to use as a clothesline........

You also have a PCIII on the bike? You need to upload the trim map from that PCIII to a computer so you don't lose the information. All you need is a USB cable, a laptop, and the PCIII software you get for free on the DynoJet web site.

I just had the side cover off for cleaning over the weekend and there is a Power Commander III stuck in there. I don't own a laptop computer.

Then, disconnect the PCIII and reconnect the cable from the injectors back to the Triumph ECU, remove the PCIII O2 sensor bypass and reconnect the O2 sensor to the ECU.

I know this is probably simple stuff. Anything AFTER you have done it. I have never owned another fuel injected bike besides the Burgman and very little modifications have gone on there (NONE). So, I am a virgin when it comes to revising a motorcycle ignition system via computer. As Private Schultz said, "I know nothingggggggg!"

Then, have your dealer load the proper tune for your exhaust.

What about getting the bike to the dealer? Wouldn't it essentially be running like **** until the right program was reloaded? Would I even be able to ride it the 30 miles to get there?

If you have or can get the Tuneboy cable and a laptop, you have easier options for either loading the stock tune or a tune from Tuneboy made for your exhaust.

Got the cable........ no got the laptop computer.

Yes, I did get the Tuneboy cable with the bike, but I really don't know what I would do with it. It's to short to use as a clothesline........

If you can't borrow or use a friend's laptop and don't want to buy one (used laptops are cheap), your options are limited to brining the bike to the dealer as it is, and asking him to take out the PCIII and reconnect the injectors to the ECU, reconnect the O2 sensor to the ECU, and load the correct tune for your exhaust. He should have no problem doing this in 15 minutes.

The Tuneboy cable is long enough to connect your ECU to a laptop. The DynoJet web site has good instructions on how to install a PCIII. If you want to get into it, PM or e-mail me, I'll send you my cell number, and you could call me.

I know this is probably simple stuff.

It is. Nothing mechanical is involved.

Dave, I can take off the Power Commander maybe on Thursday or Friday. I don't have the Tuneboy software on my laptop as I haven't touched it since I got my new job with EMC so I can't help with that.

Dave, I can take off the Power Commander maybe on Thursday or Friday. I don't have the Tuneboy software on my laptop as I haven't touched it since I got my new job with EMC so I can't help with that.

Tom,

I don't think that is necessary yet. I am in a learning phase. Like I said in another post, the RIII is the first fuel injected bike that I have messed around with. The Burgman is fuel injected, but that "monster" makes so much power and gets such good fuel mileage in stock form there was never any motivation to look at making any changes. :rolleyes:

I have done a little reading on the Power Commander website and the Tune-Boy website so I am figuring out what each one does. As it stands now, it seems that the Tune-Boy is a more versital tool and I may try using it in the future. Do you have the CD that comes with the Tune-Boy cable? If not, it looks like I can download programs direct from their website, but I didn't know if there was a program on that CD that made everything work on the computer.

The power this bike makes is pretty amazing. I already have found that the front wheel will come up in third gear if one is not careful. :eek: But, for my day to day riding and eventual long distance plans the front wheel is better suited in direct contact with the road.

Also, I am figuring out the Signal Minder. You had mentioned something about springs that can be installed. I think they might be what is needed to get the switch working consistantly.

The price of gas has gone up $0.25/gal in a day. Who knows where the top is with the dollar dipping into the toilet. I've dropped from 33-35 MPG to 30 MPG avg. with the past 3 tank refills following the newest Tuneboy tune. The increase in get-up-and-went has been impressive; I may be back-tracking shortly. The previous tune(s) were more than exhilerating enough. Incidentally, the previous tune(s) made 36-38 MPG on the interstates for me. My Tourer has cat-bypass and Tuneboy only; I've not yet put on the under-tank K&N.

RoadVenture, the downloaded software to an XP or W2k machine should work as promised. I believe there may be a Vista Driver issue. Pig9r posted some details regarding possible problems with the newest 3.4.6 software download and what steps to take to delete the problem (if any); isn't that right B?

Rocky:

I suspect you are gonna see regular unleaded right around 3 bucks a gallon and mid grade 15 cents higher. I believe that will be the norm with maybe a little more or less by region and time of year. On road diesel is already in the excess of $3.35 a gallon and B-20 is a few cents cheaper. Saturday I filled up my 350 stroker, both tanks with B20 and it came to 80 bucks. I have '0' desire to modify the Rock in any way. It runs fine on regular unleaded, gets good mileage (for what it is) and still stretches my wrists if I twist the fun valve.

I've got enough fuel in my bulk tank to get me through the middle of next year with the tractors. I'll worry about the price then. I keep that tank locked at all times. Propylene and ethylene glycol took a 3 dollar a gallon jump monday for no apparent reason.

Royal Dutch Shell needs to ramp up their shale oil extraction process in Wyoming, Utah and Idaho. I hear there is more oil out there than all the combined known reserves on the entire planet. Fock the tree huggers.:D

...Royal Dutch Shell needs to ramp up their shale oil extraction process in Wyoming, Utah and Idaho. I hear there is more oil out there than all the combined known reserves on the entire planet.:D

SHELL! WTF! G**** it! YES there is that much oil in shale oil and at $3.00 per gallon they be making hoards of money! There was a penny stock I should have gotten into a couple years ago that has the patent on the BEST extraction method. I screwed up again.
The oil shale field, in North America, is HUGE and extends well northward into Canada. And I guarantee you it ain't dino oil. That theory is $41T and as tired as I am. Current reserves of other world reserve is 200,000,000,000 tyrannosaurus rex carcasses. That is 200 billion. Someone PLEASE tell me how those carcasses sank to 10s of miles below surface?

Last edited:
Back